Changing Windows Computer Name - ESET RAC

Go to solution Solved by Gonzalo Alvarez,

Hello,

We are implementing a new naming convention and in ESET RAC of course it will take up a license. My question is how do I reuse that license key from the old computer name that no longer exist? Do I simply delete the client name?

Thank you,

Eric

• ESET Staff

Hi @eric_ng

With ERAv5 doesn't matter the name of the PC reporting back. ESET counts the slot use instead.

example: 1 pc called "eric" reports to ERAC, later that day is format and renamed as "Eric2" and reports to ERAC too.

I will end with 2 pc reported, "Eric" and "Eric2", consuming 1 slot more of my license.

Just deleting "Eric" is ok, because is an older "pc" which never going to connect again.

For ERAv6, is like the same but using the console and the license manager.

Hope this help you!

Slots used is the number of clients correct? I seen my client list grow as I change the names along with a warning that I'm going to run out of licenses soon. 

As you say deleting Eric is ok. Will that bring a license back? 

• ESET Staff
  • Solution

Slots used is the number of clients correct?

Yes. (those who are reporting to ERA)

I seen my client list grow as I change the names along with a warning that I'm going to run out of licenses soon.

Exact as I say will happen. :)

Case ERA v5 - Unless you want the old data from the client, is perfectly safe deleting all clients on the list and wait for them to report back.

Case ERAv6 - Quiet same as above, but you have to use the console or the website... can't remember now.

As you say deleting Eric is ok. Will that bring a license back?

Yes is ok, Will free the slot (within the license) use by "Eric" but, as soon "Eric2" reports will be on use again.

Anyway, what version of ERA you have?

By the way let me explain something...

You don't need to think 1 license by PC, just a "free slot within your license".

ESET license are always 1.  ;) 

(They count the numbers of clients you need to protect and the type of product you want.)

As example: I need to protect 120 clients, 43 smartphones, 1 server and 1 mail server.

I will buy:

• 1 license of ESET Endpoint Security for 140 clients (20 extras for future cases)
  • 1 license of ESET Mobile Security for 45 clients (I buy 2 more just in case)
  • 1 license of ESET File Security for Windows Server
  • 1 license of ESET Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange Server

If 3 laptops from my enterprise are destroyed (by any event you want to imagine :) ) I have to manually delete them in order to have the slots free.

Edited by Gonzalo Alvarez

Awesome, Thank you for the explanation. I didn't want do any trial and error. Deleting clients did work and the message went away regarding licenses about to run out. I will continue marching along with my naming scheme.

ERA: 5.2.22.0