I have installed ESS 9 full version in Windows 10 OS, but the personal firewall doesn't work, it says non functional.

Previously I was using ESS version 8, in that also firewall was showing non-functional. then I have installed ESS 9 beta version and the issue was resolved. But when I installed ESS 9 full version then the same firewall issue arise. Kindly help if anyone faces the same issue.

Attached error screenshot.

post-4846-0-99641000-1446189394_thumb.png

I have exactly the same issue as you. I had windows 8.1 and installed ESS9 over 8 and it worked flawlessly. Upgraded to windows 10 and the firewall stopped working. I tried force uninstalling everything using the eset cleaner and reinstalled but to no avail. Trying to install the firewall service manually results in an access denied error. Please fix this asap. 

P.S: My system has the latest drivers and updates installed. 

• Administrators

Please run the following commands from the command prompt run with elevated administrator rights and let us know if all drivers are loaded (in the running state):

"sc query epfw"

"sc query epfwwfp"

"sc query epfwlwf"

They are enabled but apparently the firewall services aren't installed properly. Attached is a summary of the cmd prompts you want.

post-9511-0-51877200-1446207860_thumb.png

• Administrators

Navigate to Settings -> Network and Internet -> Ethernet -> Change adapter options. Then right-click the Ethernet icon, select Properties and make sure that ESET Personal Firewall is enabled.

post-10-0-54345800-1446208517_thumb.png

Hi @Marcos , I don't see ESET Personal firewall under any of the adapters. I've already tried reinstalling but that didn't work, nor did removing it and reinstalling it again. 

• Administrators

Ok, so to install it, carry on as follows:

- temporarily disable Self-defense and restart the computer

- in File Explorer, right-click the file "C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\Drivers\epfwlwf\EpfwLwf.inf" and select Install

- after the driver has been installed, re-enable Self-defense and restart the computer.

I followed the steps, and it showed the operation was completed successfully. I re-enabled self-defense, restarted and the problem is still there. Under the network adapter I see no sign of the ESET firewall service. 

- in File Explorer, right-click the file "C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\Drivers\epfwlwf\EpfwLwf.inf" and select Install

- after the driver has been installed, re-enable Self-defense and restart the computer.

I did the same but still I can see firewall non-functional.

I see the  ESET Personal Firewall is enabled under network setting.

and below is the screenshot of the following commands

"sc query epfw"

"sc query epfwwfp"

"sc query epfwlwf"

post-4846-0-03553700-1446211358_thumb.png

I found the solution to my problem. The Network Protection was red ticked like in the first picture.

Yesterday i updated my wifi drivers (Qualcomm Atheros) through driver booster . That created the problem.

Recovering the driver to the previous version solved the problem.

I found the solution to my problem. The Network Protection was red ticked like in the first picture.

Yesterday i updated my wifi drivers (Qualcomm Atheros) through driver booster . That created the problem.

Recovering the driver to the previous version solved the problem.

I tried updating drivers but didn't solve the issue.

Please guide any other solution.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Hope it helps I have found the solution for this problem!

Control Panel > Network > Connection (Mine is ethernet) > Install > Service > ESET > Eset Personal Firewall > Click OK > Restart!

post-9667-0-92083200-1447362866_thumb.png

Now this should work, IF NOT follow Marcos suggestion first and then my solution!

snapback.png

Enjoy :)

• 2 months later...

I am having this issue with my laptop (my desktop works fine) using ESET Smart Security 2016.   I first tried to reinstall ESET, that didnt help.  I then found this thread.  I was able to install the INF file from post #8, but I wasnt able to enable ESET via the network adapter.

1.  Post #8 states "temporarily disable Self-defense and restart the computer"   What is Self-Defense?  I do not see any such option via ESET Smart Security.
2.  Any ideas why I am getting the access denied message when trying to enable ESET via the network adapter?

I am having this issue with my laptop (my desktop works fine) using ESET Smart Security 2016.   I first tried to reinstall ESET, that didnt help.  I then found this thread.  I was able to install the INF file from post #8, but I wasnt able to enable ESET via the network adapter.

1.  Post #8 states "temporarily disable Self-defense and restart the computer"   What is Self-Defense?  I do not see any such option via ESET Smart Security.
2.  Any ideas why I am getting the access denied message when trying to enable ESET via the network adapter?

Self-defense setting is in the HIPS section.

Self-defense setting is in the HIPS section.

Thanks.   After following the instructions in post #8, this did not solve my problem.  With Self-Defense disabled however, I was able to do the steps in post #13 successfully.   

Any ideas why this issue happens?  I have a 3 pack license and (2) desktops installed fine but my laptop did not.

• 1 month later...

hello guys,, i faced same problem.   click for each item of that 3 ,  make permanent disable each service . restart pc & come back to activate all of them,, hope to work with u

• Administrators

Those who are having issues with the epfwlwf driver not installed on Windows 10 please let us know if you upgraded to Windows 10 from an older system (which one) and what build of Windows 10 was installed. Has anybody encountered this issue with a clean install of Windows 10?

Those who are having issues with the epfwlwf driver not installed on Windows 10 please let us know if you upgraded to Windows 10 from an older system (which one) and what build of Windows 10 was installed. Has anybody encountered this issue with a clean install of Windows 10?

i have windows 10 ver 1511 build no 10586.122  this problem happened once i upgraded eset smart security to ver 9.0.375.0

• Administrators

i have windows 10 ver 1511 build no 10586.122  this problem happened once i upgraded eset smart security to ver 9.0.375.0

What version of ESS did you upgrade from? Was a clean install of Windows 10 or you upgraded to it from an older version?

What version of ESS did you upgrade from? Was a clean install of Windows 10 or you upgraded to it from an older version?

ess upgraded from 9.0.349.14 to 9.0.375.0,,  windows 10 fresh install since aug.2015 & getting the frequency update from Microsoft   

I just upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7. Had Eset version 9 installed and working fine before the upgrade. After the upgrade, I could not access the internet, either wired or wireless. I could ping out, but not via a browser or email. The only way I got it going was to disable ESET's AntiPhishing, Web Access Protection, and Email Protection by Protocol.  

My Windows 10 is build10586.164  (on a 64-bit desktop PC)

ESET is 9.0.375.0 

Need help! Any ideas?

• 2 months later...

I have a clean Windows 10 install and yet I have the same problem. Clean install of ESS 9.0.381.0.

epfwlwf is in stopped state. 

I could not install the service as per post #13 because ESET is not listed as manufacturer. Not even after switching self-defense off.  :wacko: 

It's important to know that it worked after install. must have something to do with a windows update.

Hi

I had the same problem but with ESET ENDPOINT SECURITY Product version: 6.2.2033.0 Paid license. After I reinstalled manually the newest version of ESET ENDPOINT SECURITY version 6.3.2016.1 the problem disappears.

I hope this will help some of you

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having the same firewall issue on a clean install of Windows 10.

I have a new laptop with Windows 10 pre-installed (Windows 10 Home ver 1511 build 10586.318) I uninstalled the McAfee that it came with and then installed ESET Smart Security 9.0.381.0