License questions

1. Can I move around same key to different computers as long as they are not active at same time and still be fully protected? ESET seem to know the name of computer when you install it for first time. Can it cause issues when you use same key on different computer with different name?

2. Can you run same key on Host and Virtual Maschine at same time and still be fully protected? Can ESET somehow think something is fishy and block the key and maybe updates? It should not matter as long as the the Host and VM uses same IP? Just want to be sure. Dont want to mess up my license.

• ESET Staff

Hi Seth,

I cannot answer your licenses questions, however (point 2), theory says:

"if you have protected the Host computer, every traffic to the Virtual one is already scan".

(unless you shutdown antivirus on Host PC).

and, if something wrong with the settings on LAN of virtual side can affect the real-hardware one. Happen to me twice.

• ESET Moderators

Hello Seth,

1. Yes, you can uninstall our product from one computer and activate it using the same key on a different computer, this is a fully supported scenario.

2. If you want to have the product installed in both the host and guest VM, you need a license for each (thus two licenses in this case). However, on a physical system with dual-boot, only one license is necessary for both operating systems, as only one of them can run at a time (thanks to our Unilicense concept they can be a Linux and Windows for example, and you still can use the same license key.)

Thanks for the reply TomasP.

On point 1. Do I really have to uninstall on first computer before I use it on another computer? Lets say I have 2 computers and never use both at same time. I install ESS on both with same key but never use the computers at same time. I should be able to get updates and be fully protected if I never are connected to internet at same time?

• ESET Staff

Hi,

As far as I know, ESET counts the PC you want to protect cover by the license,

so... I think you need 1 license x2 PC, or X PC you want to protect. :)

In my country add 1 pc to my current license is not even expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

As far as I know, ESET counts the PC you want to protect cover by the license,

so... I think you need 1 license x2 PC, or X PC you want to protect. :)

In my country add 1 pc to my current license is not even expensive.

I know you can get license for more than one PC with same key. But I would like to know for sure from ESET staff before I do something. I have 1 license for 2 PC. 1 for main PC and the other on another PC that I almost never use. But I will probably use a VM and want to protect that too. So im thinking if its alright to use same license on the VM too as long as I dont go online with the second PC that I almost never use and never at same time as the VM? Will this be a issue?

Thanks for the reply TomasP.

On point 1. Do I really have to uninstall on first computer before I use it on another computer? Lets say I have 2 computers and never use both at same time. I install ESS on both with same key but never use the computers at same time. I should be able to get updates and be fully protected if I never are connected to internet at same time?