Could smart security be responsible for hard faults ?

Hi guys !

I have had problems with my computer since I "upgraded" windows 7 to 10. I first noticed it when watching a video : the sound and the image were not synchronized (their was a 2 second delay between the image and the sound). Then I noticed it also happened with youtube videos and yesterday it happened with a video game as well, (left 4 dead 2). Sometimes the problem would go away for no apparent reason and would come back the next day. Weird.

Since I'm in my ATI bashing phase, I immediately blamed my ati driver. To be sure I updated every driver that I could but it didn't fix the problem. I searched the internet about my issue but I felt very alone.

Then I installed LatencyMon to try and troubleshoot what's causing the sound delay. The hard pagefault count was increasing steadily but I learnt not to read too much into this. The highest hard fault resolution time was very high though so something was definitely wrong. I disabled anything related to CPU throttling in the bios and in the system settings and set it to 100%. I also disabled the pagefile (for the fun of it) but these steps didn't fix my issue.

Then I read something about Nod32 causing HD issues. So I disabled both the firewall and the protection components of my eset smart security suite and suddenly, the hard fault count was increasing a lot slower. But slower, I mean 95% slower. I still got spikes of hard fault resolution time but they were lower.

So I was wondering if Eset could be the issue. I thought maybe there was some kind of leak that caused it to cause hard faults over time. Since W10 doesn't reboot from scratch everytime (I have fast boot on), the problem would temporarily go away only when an update forced a real reboot. Could it be it ?

Here are my specs :

AMD phenom 2 x4 965

Radeon HD 6950

8 Go RAM

realtek HD Audio

Windows 10 family

eset smart security suite 8.0.319 (english)

Thanks for your help. Any input is welcome.

• Most Valued Members

Make sure all your drivers are the latest win 10 versions available, the ones that windows installs by default are most likely to cause issues.

Go to the website of your motherboard manufacturer and get the drivers from there :)

• Administrators

You can try disabling ESET's protection features, one by one, and see if the problem goes away. If the issue is indeed somehow related to ESET, we'll help you troubleshoot it further.

I'm sorry but I needed this PC operational si I switched back to Windows 7.

My drivers were all up to date and everything seemed to point ESS as the culprit but it seemed a waste of time to try and prove it when Windows 10 has so little to offer me. I did try to install ESS9 but the problem remained.

It looks like very few people ran into this issue so it's no big deal.