Disable ESET Livegrid disabled warning

ITGuy

Is there any way to disable the warning about ESET Livegrid being disabled?

I don't want to use Livegrid, I very well know what it means not using it and I don't want to be constantly bothered with a warning message.

• Administrators

Notifications about disabled protection features have recently been discussed in another topic. The answer to your question is no, it's not possible, however, we'll consider changing this behavior for users who don't care about substantial degradation of protection from new-borne threats and who are ok with that detection/protection will be delivered with the delay of several hours or days via signature database updates.

I wonder if you could describe what LiveGrid does because I have a feeling that some users don't understand what it does even if they claim otherwise.

I wonder if you could describe what LiveGrid does because I have a feeling that some users don't understand what it does even if they claim otherwise.

You are not alone having that feeling.

Leave LiveGrid enabled - but disable both of the "submit" settings (like in the screenshot below) if it is the submission of data that you are worried about. That way, LiveGrid will continue to work, but nothing will be sent to LiveGrid from your computer, and the warning will go away. But this way you won't help to populate LiveGrid with new data, which can be just as important as taking advantage of LiveGrid.

post-320-0-80192500-1445462460_thumb.jpg

Considering how important it is to keep LiveGrid enabled - I start to feel that maybe it would be for the best if the option to totally disable LiveGrid were gone and that it would be mandatory to keep it enabled, but that both of the "submit" settings remains user optional so that every user can disable/enable them as they wish, knowing that some users are very privacy oriented.

Edited by SweX

• ESET Staff

ESET Smart Security installer ask to participate or not on Live Grid during the installation,

if don't want to just uninstall ESET, install again saying "No".

Is not big deal, they are acting on fear not with the brains. <double facepalm>

• Administrators

Leave LiveGrid enabled - but disable both of the "submit" settings (like in the screenshot below) if it is the submission of data that you are worried about. That way, LiveGrid will continue to work, but nothing will be sent to LiveGrid from your computer, and the warning will go away. But this way you won't help to populate LiveGrid with new data, which can be just as important as taking advantage of LiveGrid. 

Exactly. A user claimed in another topic: "I absolutely don't want to participate to Eset LiveGrid. I know perfectly what it does and its utility, but it is my choice not to allow files sending to Eset (Please don't make me a "blah blah" to explain me how it is important to use and so on...)".

That's why I was asking what LiveGrid does because the statement above made by a user who allegedly perfectly knows LiveGrid and what it does is not true.

It sounds like you give users 0 credibility, one could almost say you think users are stupid. I hope that's not what you were implying.

I personally don't need an online/live malware signature database to be checked against causing any internet traffic while files are being scanned. The classic approach using an offline signature database combined with some heuristics perfectly fits my needs. If in doubt I manually use other online services to check a file against multiple anti virus scanners which happens like once in 4 years.

My system and all services I use (web, email etc.) are protected with multiple layers of security measures and the local virus scanner is only the last countermeasure to kick in on my local system. My systems haven't had any kind of infection (not even ad-ware) in more than 10 years and I maybe had 1 false positive every 5 years.

However I totally understand that LiveGrid is a good option for many 'standard' users. But if someone deliberately decides not to use this feature for whatever reason the software shouldn't constantly warn you about not functioning properly. Even worse it currently displays a warning about a 'very dangerous situation' and that you 'have to enable this option immediately'. So I'm glad to hear you're considering to add an option to disable the warning. Unless you would make a statement that the ESET 'offline' signature database is so bad that you really have to use LiveGrid in order to get any decent protection.

Leave LiveGrid enabled - but disable both of the "submit" settings (like in the screenshot below) if it is the submission of data that you are worried about.

It's not but thanks for the constructive input! Well it actually is part of why I don't want to use LiveGrid but I was aware of the options to disable the submission.

Edited by ITGuy

• Administrators

In corporate environment, Endpoint does not warn if a crucial protection feature like LiveGrid is disabled. V9 is intended for home users who do not usually use other protection layers. This topic is not to debate the warning system in v9 as there's another one where it's been discussed. That topic has been locked temporarily until a newer version of v9 allowing users to customize various protection status triggers is available. Having said that, we'll draw this one to a close as well.