Disable auto scan of USB drive

I can't seem to find the correct way of disabling the automatic scan when I plug in a flash drive. As soon as I plug the flash drive (128GB Extreme Pro USB 3.0) into the USB port it automatically starts scanning even when choosing to scan later. Also, after it starts scanning it slows down the pc in a major way (mouse movement very jerky). If I go to cancel the scan it shows as canceled but then it restarts scanning immediately. The only way to stop the scan is to eject the drive. This has made it pretty much impossible to use the drive.

What I've tried:

1 - Unchecking "Action to take after inserting removable media" in advanced settings

2 - Checking "Action to take after inserting removable media" in advanced settings and changing setting to "show scan options"

No matter which setting I choose it still starts scanning automatically even when I choose "scan later"

3 - Unchecked "Removable Media" and/or "Removable Media Access" under Real-time file system protection

I am currently using Eset Smart Security v8.0.319.0

Any help would be appreciated.

• ESET Moderators

Hello, that does not sound like a proper behaviour, our product is not configured to do that.

Could you try to uninstall it and install the latest version 9?

I really do not like the look of v9 so I really don't want to upgrade my desktop to that version. I don't understand why the suggestion is always "uninstall and re-install". Thanks anyway.

• ESET Staff

Hi @dmj,

Is your choice what you install or not in your computer, we (others people around) can say our
opinion about it and suggest too what we consider the best of the case.

From my point of view, the "look" is nothing to do with the "protection" I have from the product.

A technician in cars will tell you to check the engine before buy it no matter the "cool" exterior
and paint of the car.
ESET products for Home users are design to protect the user all the time with minimum pop-ups,

so (from my point of view) you don't have to use the interface at all, just do your work/life using
the computer. :)

=> Related to USB plugged into Computer with v8.

From my experience using v8 and v9 lately, any USB plugged into the system shows me a pop-up
window with options:
 - Scan now
 - Scan later
 - Configure
 - Option to always use the marked selection above.

After that, the pop-up disappears after few seconds. I make a test right now with a pendrive in 2 computers
where never has got plug-in.

1. Endpoint Security, no further action after pop-up gone.

2. Win10, ESET Smart Security v9, nothing happens after pop-up gone.

Thats is why @TomasP says is not the proper behavior. Your ESET is not working good.

Related now to the "Uninstall/install again"...

Any (almost 80% I guess) IT guy will tell you is one of the "to do list" options when things not works.

Examples:

• Turn off (completely shutdown), and turn on again.
  • Uninstall, reboot, install
  • Make a clean install.

Why?

• From our experience is that thing you do that "Works!" and that's the real thing, some IT guys don't
    know why and don't ever ask, they know is works.

• When you uninstall a software the files and key registry are removed from the system (except some leftovers)
    and is deactivate from the memory (those memory threads still active will not loaded on the next reboot).
    This uninstall also removes files, folders, etc., from previous versions (who are perhaps creating a conflict or
    not the expected right behavior of the program).

• When you remove (correct uninstall) a software from the system and reboot, OS loads different because a
    change has been made.
    So, is a new scenario for a new installation.

• When you turn off your computer not reboot, and wait 10 seconds at least, the memory banks loose the data
    storage there. So any program loaded in the memory is no longer there, also no cache data (I assume here
    you knows what is a "cache memory").
    Is a fresh start for the computer from zero.

Hope this clarify your doubts. :)

Edited by Gonzalo Alvarez