ESET SS picked up trojan

Go to solution Solved by Ed Spurrell,

Hi All,

I check the 'giveaway' site every day and install free programs from reputable vendors.

Today I tried to install WonderFox DVD Video Converter 8.6 and ESET Smart security picks up a variant of Generik.CDIJVJO Trojan. I have installed this software a while back before I upgraded to Windows 10. I had to reformat and install Windows 10 fresh because of a few bugs and of course I lost my registered copy of this program. Others are reporting they installed this software without an issue. So was wondering if ESET is being picky :(

Any suggestions to help me install this program today because the offer will expire today?

thanks

• Administrators

Try the following:

- run manual update so that you have the most current signature database installed

- restore the file from quarantine

- rescan the file.

It's likely it was a false positive which is not detected any more.

• ESET Insiders

Assuming you mean GiveAwayoftheDay:

I just checked the download with Virus signature db: 12442 and ESET didn't detect anything.

Ran the installer in a VM and all it did was ask to change the browser homepage to giveawayoftheday.com

Also a registry key HKCU\Software\GiveAwayofTheDay.com was created.

oops...ninja post - Marcos beat me to it.

Edited by stackz

• Solution

Well I decided to go against my better judgement and disable ESET and install the software. All went well and a full scan

of WonderFox DVD Video Converter folder was clean and program works fine.

I always like to be sure and trust ESET to protect my system.

Greatly appreciate all your replies and will mark as solved

cheers

• Administrators

Please check the version of the signature database and make sure it's up to date. The detection was removed a longer time ago.