ERA & Clients migration from v5 to v6

pipboy3000
Go to solution Solved by TomasP,

It might sound like a cheeky upgrade plan but is it possible to push out v6 for Clients using the ERA v5, then once all clients are running v6, migrate ERA from v5 to v6 and 'discover' all machines again in ERA v6 web panel? I've done some testing already and it is possible to update windows client from v5 to v6 using ERA v5, but they lose connection with ERA after the upgrade, which is in line with the documentation.

• Administrators

You can install ERA agent on systems running Endpoint v5 (e.g. by installing Agent Live installer through GPO). Once agent is installed, it will reconfigure Endpoint so that it connects to it instead of the ERA v5 server and will take care of further communication with the ERA v6 server. I'd suggest deploying it on a few clients at first as ERA v6 is a new generation of ERA with many thing working differently compared to the previous versions.

As for updates, you can:

1, Install an http proxy server (Apache HTTP proxy is bundled in all-in-one ERA v6 installers) and create a policy that will configure the proxy on clients. In the case of all-in-one installer, a policy with correct proxy server settings will be already pre-configured and Agent Live installers will use those settings by default too.

2, Create a local mirror (either using the Offline Mirror tool or an Endpoint v6 product).

What if I do not run a domain? Is it possible to push Agents installation from ERA 5? I understand that once agents are installed, the communication between v5 client and ERA 5 ceases and somehow agent takes care of v5 client registering with ERA 6? I'm not bothered with updates as I'm happy for each client to get them directly from the internet. I only want them to still register with ERA to report any issues. Possible?

Edited by pipboy3000

• Administrators

What if I do not run a domain? Is it possible to push Agents installation from ERA 5? I understand that once agents are installed, the communication between v5 client and ERA 5 ceases and somehow agent takes care of v5 client registering with ERA 6? I'm not bothered with updates as I'm happy for each client to get them directly from the internet. I only want them to still register with ERA to report any issues. Possible?

It's possible to install Agent remotely, however, you must either use a mst file with correct certificates and logon information (hxxp://support.eset.com/kb3675/) or install Agent Live installer which is easier to configure as it's a simple batch file and you don't need Orca for editing.

I have been watching your YT deployment channel and it seems to me that the easiest way to do it is to:

1. Migrate ERA 5 to ERA 6 (link)

2. Using ERA 6 push agents to all clients that are already in the database (link)

Few questions in regards to this:

- Will agents install on clients with running enpoint protection v5?

- Would it be possible to remotely uninstall v5 using ERA v6?

- Is deployment for Mac OS any different?

Thanks,

Edited by pipboy3000

• ESET Moderators
  • Solution

Hello,

Yes, Agents will also install on clients running Endpoint v5. Please note that upon installation, the Agent will automatically redirect the Endpoint's ERA connection to the new v6 server and the client will stop reporting to v5 ERA.

It is also possible to remotely uninstall Endpoint v5 (in case your settings are password-protected, this needs to be specified in the task), but you do not need to do that, you can just upgrade from v5 to v6, the settings along with the license will be preserved.

As for Agent deployment on OS X, you can find all the necessary information here: hxxp://help.eset.com/era_admin/62/en-US/index.html?deployment_steps_mac.htm