ESET Smart Security 9 memory leak

• ESET Insiders

Back again to memory leak in v9, i did a clean install and i saw ekrn take 160+MB after update it become 170+MB

I created Memory dump file but after i created it ekrn become 287+MB

Back again to memory leak in v9, i did a clean install and i saw ekrn take 160+MB after update it become 170+MB

Yes. Well, it was expected to be fixed in the final release build IIRC, but it's not.

I have Beta tested V9 on XP since day 1, and the leak is the same today as it was when the first beta build was released to the public. I wouldn't have minded to test one or a few builds before the final release to verify that the leak really was fixed (that's what Beta testers are for IMO) but I guess they were confident they got the leak all sorted out.

If I stay on youtube, netflix or some other video/streaming site for a few hours then ekrn.exe will eventually hit the roof and the OS will complain on too little free ram.

@Baltagy, if you have time to wait then let ekrn.exe grow even more and create a new dump which you can send to ESET. They want it to be as big as possible.

Edited by SweX

• ESET Insiders

Yes. Well, it was expected to be fixed in the final release build IIRC, but it's not.

I have Beta tested V9 on XP since day 1, and the leak is the same today as it was when the first beta build was released to the public. I wouldn't have minded to test one or a few builds before the final release to verify that the leak really was fixed (that's what Beta testers are for IMO) but I guess they were confident they got the leak all sorted out.

If I stay on youtube, netflix or some other video/streaming site for a few hours then ekrn.exe will eventually hit the roof and the OS will complain on too little free ram.

@Baltagy, if you have time to wait then let ekrn.exe grow even more and create a new dump which you can send to ESET. They want it to be as big as possible.

I did restart my system to try it again and now it's 177MB i will leave it to go more than 200+MB then i will create a new memory dump

I did restart my system to try it again and now it's 177MB i will leave it to go more than 200+MB then i will create a new memory dump

Thank you. Peter mentioned that they are interested in a dump for analysis, but they want the ram usage to be as high as possible when you create the dump. Let it grow even more if you have time to wait. I am happy you're helping out with the dump as my upload speed is so slow (:

Edited by SweX

• ESET Insiders

Thank you. Peter mentioned that they are interested in a dump for analysis, but they want the ram usage to be as high as possible when you create the dump. Let it grow even more if you have time to wait. I am happy you're helping out with the dump as my upload speed is so slow (:

I'm slower than anyone lol, i just hope any moderator replay here so i can send the memory dump to him

I'm slower than anyone lol, i just hope any moderator replay here so i can send the memory dump to him

Haha, I feel my upload speed is powered by one of those slugs racing around on the lawn at night. Yeah, I am sure Peter will stop by when he login on the forum.

Edited by SweX

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

I'm reproducing the memory leaks here internally, I have and adjusted version with special memory tagging, hopefully we will be able to find something soon.

If you want, you may send me the dumps for analysis, but it is usually extremely hard to find out what is going on there.

Please compress the dump (ekrn should use more than 300 MB just to be sure something is leaking as we sometimes cache same data and release it afterwards) with ESET log collector output and send me or TomasP private message with download link with reference to this forum topic.

It would be great, if you can find a pattern leading to the leak, i.e. what you do when the consumption rises.

Regards,

P.R.

Hello,

I'm reproducing the memory leaks here internally, I have and adjusted version with special memory tagging, hopefully we will be able to find something soon.

If you want, you may send me the dumps for analysis, but it is usually extremely hard to find out what is going on there.

Please compress the dump (ekrn should use more than 300 MB just to be sure something is leaking as we sometimes cache same data and release it afterwards) with ESET log collector output and send me or TomasP private message with download link with reference to this forum topic.

It would be great, if you can find a pattern leading to the leak, i.e. what you do when the consumption rises.

Regards,

P.R.

Thank you Peter-looking foward to your help.

• ESET Insiders

Hello,

Regards,

P.R.

I sent you the memory dump i created when it was 170+MB until i get a higher leak maybe it solve the problem

• 1 month later...

So.....

I downgraded to V8 on Oct 29 (latest released build) to make sure there was no leak in this build. The ram usage was normal 120-130mb for the first few days, after that, the usage increased as much as with V9. (I assume one of the modules was updated that caused the leak to affect V8 as well)

BUT, since last week the ram usage as been completely normal again, I have tried everything to make it go up and hit the roof, but no, ekrn.exe stays withing the normal 120-130mb. So I wonder if any of the modules released for the products last week had a fix included for the leak as it is no longer happening ?

Edit: FWIW, I'm using pre-release updates.

Edited by SweX

So.....

I downgraded to V8 on Oct 29 (latest released build) to make sure there was no leak in this build. The ram usage was normal 120-130mb for the first few days, after that, the usage increased as much as with V9. (I assume one of the modules was updated that caused the leak to affect V8 as well)

BUT, since last week the ram usage as been completely normal again, I have tried everything to make it go up and hit the roof, but no, ekrn.exe stays withing the normal 120-130mb. So I wonder if any of the modules released for the products last week had a fix included for the leak as it is no longer happening ?

Hmmm never mind, the leak is back again. Normal for 7 days - and now its back, weird.

• Most Valued Members

Haha, I feel my upload speed is powered by one of those slugs racing around on the lawn at night.

Now that's funny, :lol:  Not for you I'm sure but I'm in the same situation since my recent move. Can't wait for spring.

See how slow it is I just caught up with your post.

Edited by SCR

So.....

Hmmm never mind, the leak is back again. Normal for 7 days - and now its back, weird.

Never mind.

The ekrn.exe ram usage has been completely normal for the past 2 days, no leak here...for the time being ^_^

Edited by SweX

I have to say it's been running quite well.I can see no signs of any memory leak with v9.Web surfing is snappy.You can't even tell it's there.Yet more proof you have to take most a/v testing results with a grain of salt.I'm quite satisfied.Will keep my eyes out for any issues and will report back should I notice any.Great job development team.

• ESET Insiders

If I remember correctly the last time I tried ESS9 my memory was around 200 mbs when I checked it. I have a slow upload speed as well. I'm using ESS8 until they get some of the bugs worked out of ESS9. I will check the memory again though the next time I try testing V9.

I finally found the cause of my memory leak (well, at least the major one)!

Many video streaming sites use Flash Player and VideoJS, creating a temporary video file (usually fla*.tmp) in the %temp% folder.

I observed ekrn.exe memory usage growing while the video was downloaded.

The tmp file remains open the entire time, until you close the video.

After closing the web page containing the video, the old fla*.tmp file is deleted, but ekrn.exe does not release the memory it had used.

If I reload the same video, a new fla*.tmp file is created, and ekrn.exe memory grows again.

If you want to test this, try this page:

hxxp://www.wimp.com/tourfrance/

I am using Windows XP sp3, Firefox v42.0, SmartSecurity v9.0.318.0

what is the resolution to the fla*.tmp files in the %temp% folder? 

is there a patch to fix this? 

my ekrn.exe is up at 700 MB or thereabouts ... and continuously growing.

Thank you

what is the resolution to the fla*.tmp files in the %temp% folder? 

is there a patch to fix this? 

my ekrn.exe is up at 700 MB or thereabouts ... and continuously growing.

Thank you

AFAIK, there is no fix for this yet. All you can do is reboot to clear the memory.

My workaround is to add TMP to the exclusion list.

I had hoped to add %temp%\fla*.tmp to be more specific, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do that for Real-time protection.

• 3 weeks later...
  • ESET Insiders

I just want to know what time it will take until this problem will be solved?!

I went back to test v9 and memory leak still there, i installed v9 and ekrn was 165MB did a restart and ekrn become 152MB in 20min it become 164MB

My Internet protection module: 1226.4 (20151215)

• Administrators

I, for one, wouldn't consider anything below 200 MB a memory leak. Memory is allocated dynamically when files are downloaded, archives are scanned, update is run, etc. Also smart optimization data is stored in memory so as files are scanned memory usage will grow a bit as well.

• Most Valued Members

memory leak is the condition when a program, let's say it's designed to consume about 300MB of RAM, it starts consuming hundreds and hundreds of MB or tens of GB (depending of the available RAM memory the system has).

so those numbers might actually be normal.

• ESET Insiders

@BALTAGY,

My is 296 MB and which ought to be it bad? Nothing!!! ( German: Meiner liegt bei 296 MB und was soll daran schlimm sein? Nichts!!! )

• 2 weeks later...

I'm commonly seeing sustained memory usage between 350-450MB. Occasionally it almost reaches 1GB. Then I have no choice but to reboot to clear it.

I'm running XPsp3 with 2GB RAM so I can't afford this nuisance.

I'll be downgrading back to ESS8, till this problem gets sorted out.