ESS 9 - Live grid file submissions

Go to solution Solved by TomasP,

• ESET Insiders

I have live grid enabled with submit statistics and files disabled. Does this lower detection via reputation significantly or at all?

If I enable submission of files, is there any way to exclude my development project executables from being submitted.

1. I would prefer that they not be submitted.
  2. Every time I compile a project with some modifications, would there the possibility of many variants of the same file being submitted?

• ESET Moderators

Hello, it is not possible to exclude specific folders from being submitted to LiveGrid, you can either enable or disable it.

LiveGrid allows us to get the information about new emerging threats as soon as possible and distribute the information to our users.

As for the various versions of the file, once its checksum changes, it is considered a different file, so if it was detected, the information would be sent again.

• ESET Insiders

Thanks TomasP for the reply.

So with Live Grid enabled and submit statistics and files disabled, is Live Grid less effective for me?

• ESET Moderators
  • Solution

Not as much for you, as for everybody else. (In case our product detected a new threat on your system, other users couldn't be protected against it from that moment, as the information about it wouldn't be sent from your machine.)

• Administrators

What you can do if you want to make sure that certain files are not submitted under any circumstances is to add a specific extension in the exclusion list in the LiveGrid setup. By default, documents and databases are excluded. Of course, it's not a good idea to add extensions of executable files there as it's mainly these which are evaluated as suspicious and submitted to ESET. You can be sure that we don't submit a wide range of executables e.g. due to their low age like some companies may do, however, there are relatively strict rules that most of suspicious files must met in order to be submitted.