Automatic Banking Protection not working after first time

• Most Valued Members

I'm having an issue with ESS v9 (great release by the way, congrats) and Windows 10 where banking protection is automatically detecting a banking website in Google Chrome, and I can successfully launch the special window... but after closing that first window I'm never able to make the automatic detection work again in Chrome as the browser just loads the website normally.

Checked settings and that banking website was set to automatically launch banking protection, but even after removing the rule and turning the protection off and on, restarting the computer, etc. automatic detection for any banking/payment website is no longer working for me in Chrome. It also doesn't work if I manually enter a website for ESS and set it to ask me or automatically launch, Chrome just loads the website normally.

I am able to manually launch banking protection at any time which opens an IE window, but I was hoping to be able to use the automatic detection in Chrome and am not sure why it no longer works.

Any help would be appreciated.  :)

Edited by planet

• Most Valued Members

Hi planet,

What version of Chrome do you use?

Right now, Chrome is at version 46.0.2490.71m - just the regular stable releases which auto update as expected. Tried with no extensions and still doesn't work. Tested with Internet Explorer and Edge - auto detection is working for both.

Chrome - No (after first time)

IE - Yes

Edge - Yes

Edited by planet

• ESET Moderators

I tested the issue and the websites were detected correctly all the time.

However, when launching Banking & Payment protection separately, it opened IE even though Chrome was set as default.

I reported this as a bug, thank you :)

• Most Valued Members

I tested the issue and the websites were detected correctly all the time.

However, when launching Banking & Payment protection separately, it opened IE even though Chrome was set as default.

I reported this as a bug, thank you :)

Thank you for reporting the seperate launch, I also got it working automatically now by uninstalling Chrome (keeping user data) and installing it again. Took a restart or two (without restart there was no green frame around the window, after first restart the banking protection message was showing 'Opening window' but never did, but then after the second restart everything was functional with the green frame and I was able to automatically redirect and open Chrome windows in one session) and now everything is working as it should.  ^_^

• Most Valued Members

One thing I've noticed is the green frame isn't showing every time around the Chrome window when banking & payment protection is launched - is this something to be concerned about or am I still protected even if I can't see the green frame (but still launches the special window)?

Edit: Found that if I launch banking & payment protection manually first, the green frame is then shown around the automatic protected Chrome window, but if I never manually launch it or restart Windows, I don't get the green frame until I manually launch it again.

Edited by planet

FWIW, I found that the issue with protected Chrome not loading appeared (at least in my case) to be due to "allow Chrome to run in the background" being enabled by default. After I turned that off, it worked every time.

Hi, my automatic banking protection doesn't work, I don't know how to do.  :(

I have the lasted version of Firefox and Chrome.

• Most Valued Members

The issue just came back, after the first automatic window all future instances just loaded normally in the Chrome window and didn't redirect to the ESET page and open the protected window anymore. Is this something to do with Chrome's automatic updates? Launching it manually continues to work (opens an IE window), although no green frame appears still (no answer from my last post).

Edit: And the issue is resolved again... So confusing at the moment  :wacko:

Edited by planet

• ESET Moderators

Did you do anything in the meantime that could affect the behaviour, or did it just start working again on its own?

Is there anything else running in the background that could affect that?

• Most Valued Members

Did you do anything in the meantime that could affect the behaviour, or did it just start working again on its own?

Is there anything else running in the background that could affect that?

We shutdown/restart pretty regularly, so it just started working again the next day after restarting (Although the green frame still never works).

Nothing else running in the background, this particular Win 10 PC doesn't have much (if any) software on it other than the basics (Chrome and Thunderbird, plus ESS 9).

I've been using ESET Smart Security since 2009 and have never had a problem.

However, I have to report that I had a lot of problems with ESS9 using both IE and Firefox under Windows 7. The banking would not work properly despite assistance from UK Tech support.

During that conversation I also found that SSL screening is turned on by default, which was slowing down browsing significantly.

I think it has been released a little too early and is "work in progress".

It appears that ESET are following Microsoft's lead and refining as they go along, like Windows 10.

I uninstalled and reverted to version 8, which is where I'll stay for a while...

• 1 year later...

I have the same problem.  I have multiple licences. The ESET Banking Security is working fine on my PC.  However, I just installed it on my laptop and it does not work AT ALL.

When going to a banking site, I am not directed to the ESET Banking Protection.  When I try to open the software manually, nothing happens - a blank screen.  I have tried doing this using Chrome and Firefox and IE and neither works.  Chrome version is 57.0.2987.133. I am running Windows 10 - 64 bit.what is www.anz.com

I would really appreciate some assistance with this.  I will be travelling in two days with my laptop and would really like to have my protection sorted out.

Many thanks, Deborah

• Administrators

If you went to anz.com for the first time after installing ESET, were you asked if you want to open it in a secured browser? If you open a secured browser by clicking the appropriate icon on your desktop, does it open? If so, what happens if you attempt to open the bank's website in it?

I haven't had any issues opening it as you can see below:

opp_anz_com.png

opp_chrome_anz_com.png