Presentation Mode Warning

Is there anyway to stop the ERA console from warning that clients have presentation mode enabled?

I have tried to configure a policy for Security Products to only log Critical events, but the Presentation Warnings are still showing up.

• 2 weeks later...

Ditto for me.

I have ERA clients showing with a presentation enabled warning, when they do't have presentation mode enabled.  A policy to force disable presentation mode has made no difference.

Appreciate any comments about whether this is a known bug or a configuration error.

Many thanks

Edited by SimonW

I too would like to know how to disable this warning.

I keep thinking there is a problem with one of my clients and click on it to only see that they are in presentation mode.

• ESET Moderators

Hello, the presentation mode pushes back some scheduled tasks and does not notify the user of any issues, so it reduces the protection level to a certain degree.

That's why the warning is shown. Also the presentation mode is definitely not meant to be run for longer time periods, so the warning also serves as a reminder for the user to turn it off once done with the presentation.

It would be great if the warning was not seen as a "standard warning".  Like Davidpitt, I keep thinking there is a problem with a client and must click on it to see it is in presentation mode.  And we have an application which runs in IE full screen, so a lot of clients are marked as "warning".  This is annoying. 

• ESET Moderators

Hello, as I explained earlier - the notification itself is not an issue, as it is not there just for the sake of being. The issue is that when the Presentation mode is enabled, the protection is actually reduced to a certain degree.

So if you have apps that run on fullscreen permanently, a better option for you is to disable the automatic running of Presentation mode with fullscreen apps - otherwise the protection will be reduced permanently, of which the notification really informs.

• ESET Moderators

We have just published a new KB article for Presentation mode (an update to the existing article for version 5 products, kb3014). The version 6 article also includes additional information regarding the ERA and endpoint notifications:

How do I configure Presentation mode on client workstations? (KB5672)

Only thing this doesn't address is the issue reported by @SimonW, but that is probably a different cause/issue. 

• 1 year later...

We are in the process of evaluation of the Eset product line.  I am trying to better understand the impact that "Presentation mode" presents to an End Point system.  I get that while in Presentation Mode there is a level of suppression of notifications etc.  Are there other risks or considerations?  Does this in some way (aside from suppression of Notifications) that this increases the Attack Vector for the PC? Just want to understand just how significant this is and how concerned I should be about ending long running Presentation mode sessions.

• 3 months later...

@TomasP We have the following issue with presentation mode: all of our users have two displays connected to their computer. Many users choose to run a full-screen Remote Desktop session on one of the two displays - usually all day. This causes ESET's presentation mode to be enabled permanently, although no presentation is taking place and although the main display would be available to view ESET warnings and messages.

I think it would make sense to be able to define application exceptions (i.e. have a setting so that a full-screen mstsc.exe does not trigger presentation mode) or to modify presentation in a way that ESET messages are always shown on the screen that is not in full-screen mode in cases where more than one display is connected.

Edited by janw

• Administrators

@janw The solution is to disable the option for activating Presentation mode when an application running in full-screen mode is detected.

5 minutes ago, Marcos said:

@janw The solution is to disable the option for activating Presentation mode when an application running in full-screen mode is detected.

I'm aware of this option, but that kind of defeats the purpose. If I understand correctly, this feature is supposed to auto-enable if an actual (PowerPoint) presentation is taking place. If I disable it, users might get unwanted ESET popups in front of their slides.

As a workaround, I limited presentation mode to 1 hour - but that's no real fix.

Edited by janw

On 24. 3. 2017 at 11:26 AM, davidpitt said:

It would be good if we could have exceptions to presentation mode. So we can exclude mstsc process

Exatcly, I would love to see that.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I don't think the solution is to disable presentation mode when all we really want is to not be ALERTED about it being enabled.

We have many users who have Powerpoint open all day long and they don't want to see ESET notifications while doing presentations. We don't want to see notifications in our ESET Remote Administrator simply because Presentation Mode is enabled on a machine. So the solution we would want (and so did the OP) is a method to disable the ERA yellow notification that the client is "problematic" when it is not. Even if there was just a filter to EXCLUDE Presentation Mode notifications that would suffice. Does a method exist?

PS we are an ESET partner of 5+ years and have been using ERA in an MSP environment for almost 10 years.

• Administrators

It's already possible to prevent notifications about activation of presentation mode from being displayed to the user or in the ERA console. All you need to do is to disable the appropriate notifications via a policy (User interface -> Application statuses (Edit) -> General:

era6_policy_pres_mode_notice_off.png

• 4 weeks later...

This warning triggers every time when Windows 8 and 10 (not sure about 7 and older) goes to lock screen. In our organization we have constantly about 1/6 of all computers with this warning. So, turn it off or live with it. In both cases it is useless, I suggest to turn it off by default.

Upd.: When presentation mode is enabled scheduled tasks are paused. It's good if actual presentation is running. But, as I said, in most cases computer is idle with lock screen 'presented'. The best time to run these scheduled tasks IMHO. If antivirus could detect, is this a real presentation/fullscreen application or Windows lock screen, there would be better use of resources and less unneeded warnings.

Edited by karlisi