Upgrade adds ESET.com to trusted sites zone

siljaline

Hello,

I've just upgraded ESET Endpoint to version 6.2.2021 on Win 7 32 bit  from the 5.1.1 version Family.

When I noted that there is no longer an MSCONFIG item under the new installation, I did some digging and found this. The software installation introduces the following ESET.com Trusted Zone entries in the Registry unbeknownst to the user.   

Trusted Zone: hxxp://*.eset.com (HKLM)
ESC Trusted Zone: hxxp://*.eset.com (HKLM) 

Since the above were likely introduced in order for the sites in question to be "trusted" by the Browser, it is not opt-in, therefore I have manually removed these entries as they are not required nor are they necessary.  There should be no entries in the trusted sites zone in Internet Explorer. This was something that was once required for Windows Update.

As far as the lack of an MSCONFIG item, this poses a problem for those that may want to do a selective boot  - (with the AV disabled) - for troubleshooting purposes. We would not want advanced users having to stop Window Services unless required.

Other than these observations - am happy with the improved bits and layout.

• ESET Moderators

Hello, the msconfig entry was just for the GUI part anyway, the kernel was started regardless of the entry.

If you want to boot your operating system without the antivirus enabled, you can uncheck "Start Real-time file system protection automatically" in Advanced setup > Antivirus > Real-time file system protection.

As for the trusted zone, I believe this is due to communication with our activation system, which was introduced in Endpoint v6.

Hello, the msconfig entry was just for the GUI part anyway, the kernel was started regardless of the entry.

If you want to boot your operating system without the antivirus enabled, you can uncheck "Start Real-time file system protection automatically" in Advanced setup > Antivirus > Real-time file system protection.

I've asked ESET Tech Writing to start a new KB Article on this requirement as there currently is none that states this in order to boot sans the antivirus.