ERA Agent 6.2.190 upgrade causing duplicate client records in ERA Server

I've upgraded ERA Server (VA) to the latest version 6.2.11.1. All internal server components are up-to-date. Next, I went ahead with upgrading ERA Agent on Clients to the latest version (6.2.171.0 -> 6.2.190.0) and I used a GPO method as described here to deploy the new Agent.

Everything works great on the Client side - the new Agent gets installed after reboot, however, in ERA Server I'm getting a duplicated record created for each Client that was upgraded. The new record appears in the "Lost And Found" folder even though there is already existing record with exactly same name, same MAC, same everything just in a different folder!! The old record becomes orphaned. I have to delete the old record and manually move the new record from "Lost And Found" to the correct folder to get things back to normal.

I'm curious if anybody else noticed the same. Any ideas why this is happening and how to prevent it? Perhaps a setting in ERA Server or something else that can help to avoid the duplicates?

Thanks!

My guess is that it happened because the agent is designed to be upgraded using the Remote Administration upgrade task (it is called something like that), and because it was a fresh install (even though it was installed on top of the old agent), it has been detected as a fresh computer.

I can't find the instructions for updating right now, but if you hunt around the knowledgebase you should find what you are looking for. You basically run an upgrade on the Remote Administration as though you are going to upgrade the ERA server itself , but you select all the computers you want to get the new agent deployed to, and it upgrades each machine in the list to the latest agent.

Good luck

Mike

• Administrators

As already mentioned by Mike, to upgrade agent on clients, send an ERA Component Upgrade task to them to upgrade agent automatically.

Thank you, I guess that was the cause.

I think it wouldn't harm to add a mechanism in ERA Server which would recognize Agent upgrades even when a method other than ERA Component Upgrade task was used. This is really a basic feature many will benefit from. At least make it available so that one can use it when required to avoid the duplicates.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with terrum

I use GPO's for agent and Endpoint.

Works like a champ..except for the duplicates that get created in Lost and Found..

They also show up with IP addy and not HOSTNAME

• ESET Moderators

Hello, GPO can be used for the initial deployment. However, once the Agent is present, it is recommended to upgrade it using the built-in mechanism.

• ESET Moderators

It is not doubling the work, it actually saves time.

You do not need to prepare anything, you just run a task from ERA webconsole and ERA takes care of delivering the task, downloading the correct version, installing it, etc.

• 4 months later...

Hello.

We have about 600 workstations in our network and about 20 OU in AD structure for PCs.

So now i synchronized AD tree into ERA and can see all workstations. But when we deploying ERA agents by GPO all computers are duplicated into Lost&found. Is there a way to automatically make order by AD structure in ERA console?

• ESET Staff

Hello Penguin. Issue you are talking about occurs in case, when ERA server has issues with DNS name resolving of the computers.

What you can do, is to run the "computer rename task" targeted on lost & found group, and then re-sync with Ad, with collision handling set to "move".  You have to make sure, that the lost & found name is the same, as the one resulted from AD sync.

• 2 months later...

I'm having an issue getting the move function to work. I have my AD sync set to move pc's with the same name out of lost and found and into the correct OU, however when it ever runs with it on I get the message "RemoveComputer: Specified computer was not found". If I set collision to skip instead of move then the sync runs just fine. I don't know why I'm getting this message.

• ESET Staff

I'm having an issue getting the move function to work. I have my AD sync set to move pc's with the same name out of lost and found and into the correct OU, however when it ever runs with it on I get the message "RemoveComputer: Specified computer was not found". If I set collision to skip instead of move then the sync runs just fine. I don't know why I'm getting this message.

Are you using ERA 6.2? We had a bug where de-duplication ended with this specific error and only solution was to manually remove problematic duplicates. This issue was fixed in 6.3 release.

I am on 6.2 for the server and the web console. I wasn't part of the installation process so I don't know if upgrading is free. If it is free how do I go about upgrading to 6.3?

• ESET Staff

I am on 6.2 for the server and the web console. I wasn't part of the installation process so I don't know if upgrading is free. If it is free how do I go about upgrading to 6.3?

Yes, it is free. Please follow documentation for Remote Administrator Components Upgrade task.

In case is is not possible to use this task (it requires access ESET repository servers for installers to be downloaded), you may proceed with manual upgrade - in your case upgrade of SERVER and Webconsole is required, as their version must match. You will find more details in relevant article: KB3668

I backed up all of the certificates, my only other question is when I upgrade will it wipe out all of the custom settings I set up?

• ESET Staff

I backed up all of the certificates, my only other question is when I upgrade will it wipe out all of the custom settings I set up?

Not sure what you meant by settings, but it should not remove anything you created in Webconsole.

I would suggest you to backup database if possible before upgrading, as there wont be way back once database is upgraded to newer version.

Looks like I successfully updated and the duplicate collision issue is resolved. Thank you.