ESET Smart Security 9 can not be activated

Hello,

I have a Eset 9 installed with the Live Installer over my valid version 8 on a Win10 64 bit PC, Firewall disabled, Internet connection OK

The license will not be accepted and I can not be activated manually. I tried it yesterday and today.

Greetings
Christian

post-2723-0-31158800-1443626255_thumb.png

You re-installed V8 (not 9)?  Perhaps a Moderator should jump in-regarding should it be a clean install (not an overlay)?

I know rugk mentioned he was having issues doing an overlay.

https://forum.eset.com/topic/6113-eset-smart-security-v9-2016-notes-for-upgrading/?hl=rugk#entry33674

Edited by TomFace

• ESET Moderators

Are you installing the Beta version, from the image it looks like it's the fully released (regional) build? As this is a regional release, support will most likely have to come from your region's support. 

• ESET Moderators

From the KB/support perspective, we typically recommend a clean install when possible, it's just more reliable for the majority of cases (support cases). However, with v9, there is the licensing system change, which should pull the existing license (u/p) in an "overlay" installation and convert it to the License Key (not visible in product) / License ID (visible in product). For that reason, it may be better to install over, but as I said, since it's a regional release we haven't tested this extensively to make a universal recommendation (in the EN KB) regarding the upgrade process. We usually wait to receive feedback from our Customer Support team regarding the recommended process. 

• ESET Moderators

As I said in that mentioned thread, you do not need to uninstall version 8 first.

Also by directly reinstalling, you eliminate issues from points 3 and 4 from rugk's list - the settings will be kept and converted to the new format, as well as the license will be preserved.

Users installing v9 as a fresh installation will have a link in the activation dialog to a username/password to license key converter.

In case of activation issue after fresh installation, it is best to contact the local support office who will assist with the troubleshooting.

Thanks TomasP-that is the beauty of not being in a rush (as some others are).

Let the dust settle and then see the best path to follow. I was wondering about the license converter as well.