ESET Smart Security v9 (2016): Notes for upgrading

• Most Valued Members

Downloaded and installed without issue, so far. First scan completed. Right now it's in learning mode but I'll be changing that after a run some of my basic programs and get the network in order.

@SweX, yes, you are correct it was not easy to find the offline download. The new site is uhm, well... Shiny! Thanks for the kb link that most definitely is a easier way to go..

If anyone else uses the offline download be advised it will not install over the beta version, at least on my system. I tried it as an experiment even though my intent was a fresh install. Curiosity got to me.. :blink:. It returned an incompatible installed program error.

I have a multi-device licence and I plan to do a staggered update. Since there is a licence key change will that cause problems with the PCs still running version 8 once the first PC is updated to version 9?

• Most Valued Members

I have a multi-device licence and I plan to do a staggered update. Since there is a licence key change will that cause problems with the PCs still running version 8 once the first PC is updated to version 9?

I've been able to keep using devices with previous versions that use a Username and Password whilst using the new converted key on another device with no issue (with a multi-device license), so no there should be no problems as long as you stick with the number of devices allowed.

I updated one PC and it recognised that I have a valid licence and shows the correct valid until date. So where do I find the new converted key? The quick start and user guide docs don't seem to mention updating to version 9 from an earlier release. Since I have multiple PCs to upgrade I didn't use the live installer.

• Most Valued Members

I updated one PC and it recognised that I have a valid licence and shows the correct valid until date. So where do I find the new converted key? The quick start and user guide docs don't seem to mention updating to version 9 from an earlier release. Since I have multiple PCs to upgrade I didn't use the live installer.

Here's a post by Marcos announcing the release and has a wealth of information that should answer most if not all your questions.

https://forum.eset.com/topic/6259-eset-smart-security-9-has-been-released/

With specific regard to the License Key, again from the above referenced post by Marcos.

hxxp://support.eset.com/kb2393/#licenseKey

• Administrators

So where do I find the new converted key?

If you upgrade from an earlier version, you won't need the license key for activation as activation will be performed automatically. If you install v9 from scratch, conversion of the former username/password to a license key is possible directly from the activation dialog that is show immediately after installation.

Thanks for the responses. It would have been better if that information had been included in the quick start and/or user guides. They were the first place I looked.

Since your new licensing scheme counts activations I presume that uninstalling activated installations will adjust the activation counts appropriately and that there is a straightforward mechanism available to cover the case where a PC dies unexpectedly and is replaced by a new unit. In the new year I plan to start replacing new PCs before the current licence expires and I don't want the hassle of getting licences reactivated.