ESET Smart Security v9 (2016): Notes for upgrading

As said ESET v9 was already released in some languages. So I've did a quick test and here is what I'd like to say (also for other using who want to upgrade).

1. At first (of course) do a backup before upgrading. (at least create a system restore point)
  2. You have to uninstall the Version 8 of ESET prior to installing v9. This means, do not install v9 over v8.
    I tried it and got errors because ekrn.exe constantly closed itself/crashed silently and restarted in a loop.
  3. You cannot import the setting from v8. Even if you export the settings from v8 you cannot import them in v9, because it seems the settings file format has changed.
  4. The license system was adjusted to the one used in the v6 business versions. That means you cannot use your old username/password for this version any more - a license key is required.
    I assume ESET will create a site where you can convert the license. (Currently I couldn't found one)

Windows 7 x64

German translation of this post can be found here: https://www.computerguard.de/threads/eset-smart-security-2016-v9-und-eset-nod32-antivirus-2016-veroeffentlicht.9786/

1. You have to uninstall the Version 8 of ESET prior to installing v9. This means, do not install v9 over v8.

I tried it and got errors because ekrn.exe constantly closed itself/crashed silently and restarted in a loop.

I installed German Version 9 over Version 8 without problems on my PC and laptop (both win 7 64bit).

No new licence key was needed.

The only strange thing was that after installation with live installer the complete 21 modules were downloaded again (about 70 MB) with virus definition updates (I'm using pre-release updates).

Edited by User

I installed German Version 9 over Version 8 without problems on my PC and laptop (both win 7 64bit).

Oh, great. In my case it did not worked that well...

So I'll use v8 a bit more.

Edited by rugk

You cannot import the setting from v8. Even if you export the settings from v8 you cannot import them in v9, because it seems the settings file format has changed.

I assume this means firewall and hips rules, etc.? Definitely a no-go for me if true.

Oh, great. In my case it did not worked that well...

So I'll use v8 a bit more.

I like a clean install on a version change. But as I have time to kill, I'll just wait and see what is recommended and what else is logged here.

Edited by TomFace

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

As for the point 2 from rugk's list, you do not need to uninstall version 8 first. If there was an issue, it was an isolated one (as confirmed by other people in this thread).

Also by directly reinstalling, you eliminate issues from points 3 and 4 - the settings will be kept and converted to the new format, as well as the license will be preserved.

Users installing v9 as a fresh installation will have a link in the activation dialog to a username/password to license key converter.

@ThomasP

Okay, nice. However installing v9 over v8 didn't worked in my case. And as said by @TomFace many people may also like to do a clean installation (just as a matter of principle e.g.).

So for issue 4 the link is nice. I did only saw one link (which was the question "Do you have a username/password?") but the site opened did not loaded so I closed it again.

As I think this was temporarily I guess this is the site you mean.

Point 3 is more bad if you want (or have) to do a fresh installation on the same device (or a new installation of v9 on another device if you want to reuse the settings).

So what do you think about a standalone settings converter? Just so that i can use my old settings files with the new format too.

Edited by rugk

BTW why is there still no (pinned) thread about the new ESS and NOD32 release?

I would like one for an official POV. (Thanks rugk)

Edited by TomFace

BTW why is there still no (pinned) thread about the new ESS and NOD32 release?

I am not sure. But I believe they usually create an official "release thread" when they release V9 worldwide, and not when they release it to a few selected local markets.

Not sure how they did it when they released V7 that was also first released on a few local markets just like V9 hmmm :unsure:

Not sure how they did it when they released V7 that was also first released on a few local markets just like V9 hmmm :unsure:

You maybe mean v8? Because v7 was released at once as far as I know. Only v8 was just released worldwide later on. At the specific language release this there was also an announcement, but I can imagine that they now want to prevent  complaints from users who are asking when it will be available in their language...

So maybe you're right.

Edited by rugk

You maybe mean v8? Because v7 was released at once as far as I know. Only v8 was just released worldwide later on. At the specific language release this there was also an announcement, but I can imagine that they now want to prevent  complaints from users who are asking when it will be available in their language...

So maybe you're right.

I included a quote by our friend Aryeh in this post here which he posted as a reply to users asking about the English version of V7 right after wave 1 was released to the public: https://forum.eset.com/topic/5036-eset-smart-security-and-eset-nod32-antivirus-9-beta-available/?p=33673

One difference between the V7, V8 and V9 release is that the English version was included in wave 1 with the V8 release, but not with the V7 or V9 release.

Edited by SweX

See post #175

Just BTW: You can also get the direct link of a post by clicking at the number at the right top.

See post #175

Just BTW: You can also get the direct link of a post by clicking at the number at the right top.

Thanks rugk--did not know that!

Sorry I'm new here but:

- Just installed v9.

- Deinstalled it, went back to v8.

- No registering with username/pw? Why?

- Absolutely ED UP GUI. It was so simple and easy with v7, with v8 - and now wth is that? Really hard to find the settings like before. Any way to change the GUI back to the one from v8?

- Online banking protection? Whats that? Internet explorer (sandbox) Really? IE?

- Moving away from ESET, that is not the way to go.

- After moving from 8 to 9 the firewall didn't work anymore, Botnetprotection was down etc.... way to go...

Sigh eset - why?

• Administrators

- No registering with username/pw? Why?

V9 can be activated using a license key that can be obtained after clicking a link in the registration dialog and entering a username and password. This is not needed if an older version is upgraded to v9.

- Absolutely XXXXXXX GUI. It was so simple and easy with v7, with v8 - and now wth is that? Really hard to find the settings like before. Any way to change the GUI back to the one from v8?

The vast majority of users like it much but each to his own. There are just two things I don't like about it, fortunately this is subject to improvement in future versions.

- Online banking protection? Whats that? Internet explorer (sandbox) Really? IE

It launches protected browser (not necessarily IE) without loading additional plug-ins and in a way that makes it impossible to log keystrokes.

- After moving from 8 to 9 the firewall didn't work anymore, Botnetprotection was down etc....

Unfortunately, you didn't mention what OS you use. I'd suggest contacting Customer care as nobody else has reported it with v9 so far.

On the download page the German version is now

Version: 9.0.318.20

I have

Version: 9.0.318.10

Are there internal changes between this versions and is it recomnended to upgrade?

Edited by User

• ESET Moderators

There were some fixes regarding the activation process and keyboard input in the secure browser, so unless you experienced one of these issues, you do not necessarily need to update, however, you can.

• Most Valued Members

Is there a way to download v9 installer and not use the live installer.I want to do a clean install  on two computers and have a data cap.

Thanks.

Edited by SCR

Hi SCR, from the ESS page hxxp://www.eset.com/us/products/smart-security/

from the download  page, to the right select download options>advanced download.

I think that is the offline installer (size 95.7 MB).

The online installer is 2.7MB.

EDIT 3:10PM: I am pretty sure that's it. They're calling online install "SIMPLE" and offline "ADVANCED" I do believe.

Edited by TomFace

• Most Valued Members

from the download  page, to the right select download options>advanced download.

EDIT 3:10PM: I am pretty sure that's it. They're calling online install "SIMPLE" and offline "ADVANCED" I do believe.

Tom,

Thanks a bunch for the prompt reply.

That's exactly what I've been looking for. Downloading now. It will be a while on this Verizon network of 1.5 - 2.0 mbps, Faster then usual the wind must be blowing in the right direction ;)  I'll let you know if there are any issues, but I'm ever optimistic.

In about 6 months I'll be on a faster network without this 5GB cap, can't wait.

Thanks again,

Stan

Yeah that's it.....I feel like the new ESET website may not be the easiest to navigate and find what you're looking for right away, particularly for first time visitors looking for download links (especially offline installers) even if the site looks fancy and all that. ^_^

If one is looking for the English Offline Installer(s) then one can use the following KB article as an alternative "download portal" since it is a bit easier to figure out where to click using the download buttons in this KB article (updated today Oct 13): hxxp://support.eset.com/kb2885/

Edited by SweX