Endpoint Antivirus not updating

Some of our machines go unattended for several days at a time. I have a mirror server and remote admin setup so I can monitor and do the updates for them.

The problem seems to be that updates won't happen because ESET has generated an "update failed" message and won't continue until someone physically goes to the machine, opens the ESET window (where it says everything is fine) and clicks on the "Update" tab. There, it shows that an update had failed and nothing happens until they click "Okay" to clear the message. From there everything is fine.

What can be done to not require this acknowledgment so I can update these computers without some sort of personal interaction with each one of them?

Hi David VanVranken,

We will need additional information to discover the cause of your issue. Please check your messages for instructions.

Thank you,

ChadH

It doesn't help that nearly any computer purchased nowdays has "energy savings" hard coded into the chips. No matter what we do with "sleep" the NIC chip wants to shut itself down when not in use. I have it so it wakes up when packets come their way, but there's still about a 30 second delay as it wakes up and reconnects to the network.

During this time ESET responds with "server not found" and stalls the update and won't restart until someone manually opens the window, acknowledges the error with the "Okay" button and hits "Update" again.

I have automatic updates for a reason. I don't want the users to interrupt their workflow to stop and click in and out of something they shouldn't have to bother with.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

The issue is now resolved. Here is a summary of the issue and resolution:

Issue:

• Endpoint Antivirus clients were unable to connect to the Remote Administrator server for their updates
  • This results in the error "Server Not Found"
  • We confirmed the server address and port information was correct
  • They were unable to connect to the server because the network cards have a low-energy usage mode which takes some time to initialize
  • We were able to manually update them, but it appeared as if the clients needed manual intervention after a failed update

Solution:

• Endpoint products will continue to attempt updating with the automatic update task after an error
  • However, Endpoint products will wait 2 hours after a failed update attempt to try to update again
  • We waited two hours after the error and confirmed the clients were able update automatically without issue

Thank you,

ChadH

• 2 years later...

This sounds awfully familiar to the issue I am seeing right now.

I recently experienced an internet outage for about 6 hours, and after that several clients were getting update errors. Even now about a week later I'm still seeing clients who are getting this issue (the same clients who initially saw the same errors).

There definitely appears to be a bug in the update retry code, even still in the newer version - 2 years later. Please investigate!

• Administrators

What error are you getting when you manually run update? Do the clients update from ESET's server or from a mirror? What ESET product / version is installed on the clients?