NOD 32 seems to be causing freeze during boot

I'm not having any luck. I was able to make all the registry changes as directed, but i'm still unable to make Windows Dump it's memory with the Hotkeys. Nothing happens at all when I hold down the right most Alt key, and press Scroll Lock twice in a roll. Num Lock, and Scroll Lock is the same key on my Laptop. Maybe I should define a different key Combo to initiate the Memory Dump. Does anyone have any advice?

Hi again, Hmmm i'm not sure if you did a typo here? :)  But it is not the "Alt" key that you should press. It is the right CTRL key and then scroll lock twice.

Swex, thanks for letting me know it worked for you! Are you still having problems with Windows hanging during boot as well? I've been having this problem for a long time, but it has gotten much worse recently. I thought it was other security products causing it until now. I uninstalled all other security products except for NOD 32, and Shadow Defender. Windows still continued to hang during boot. I uninstalled NOD 32, and used my Laptop for 3 days without it. I never had a single problem with Windows hanging. Now I have been using another AV for the past 5 days, and Windows does not hang anymore. It was definitely NOD 32 causing the problem.

Hi, no I don't have a problem with Windows hanging, but another problem with an Svchost.exe process starting to use 99% CPU when ever it likes, wich could be connected to the V7 BETA and that's why ESET requested a full mem dump from me. :)

Great to see you found a solution to your issue were you couldn't set it to create a full mem dump. 

I hope they discover the problem. 99% is a crazy amount of CPU! Does it happen shortly after booting or does it seem to be totally random? Do you think the start up scan could be causing it?

First I thought it was connected to the startup scan as it was happening in the middle of a startup scan wich caused it to stall, but now I don't think they are connected. Since sometimes it happens straight after the desktop shows, and sometimes it happens even after the PC has been on for hours. But the dumps has been sent away to ESET, so now i'll just wait until they have analyzed it. :)

Edited by SweX

• ESET Insiders

I'm not having any luck. I was able to make all the registry changes as directed, but i'm still unable to make Windows Dump it's memory with the Hotkeys. Nothing happens at all when I hold down the right most Alt key, and press Scroll Lock twice in a roll. Num Lock, and Scroll Lock is the same key on my Laptop. Maybe I should define a different key Combo to initiate the Memory Dump. Does anyone have any advice?

Hi again, Hmmm i'm not sure if you did a typo here? :)  But it is not the "Alt" key that you should press. It is the right CTRL key and then scroll lock twice.

Sorry, yes that was a typo. I was trying the CTRL key, and Scroll Lock twice. After that would not work I tried using other keys with the Scroll Lock. None of them worked. I even tried setting the key combination to a different key set like CTRL, and Pausebreak. Sometimes I feel like opening the Window, and throwing this Laptop right out the Window. It's hard to find anything that I can install on this Sony Laptop that does not cause some sort of a problem. I've been building my own Desktops for years, and I never have any problems out of them. Looks like it's time to build my own Laptops from now on. It seems like if you want something done right then you have to do it yourself.

Sorry, yes that was a typo. I was trying the CTRL key, and Scroll Lock twice. After that would not work I tried using other keys with the Scroll Lock. None of them worked. I even tried setting the key combination to a different key set like CTRL, and Pausebreak. Sometimes I feel like opening the Window, and throwing this Laptop right out the Window. It's hard to find anything that I can install on this Sony Laptop that does not cause some sort of a problem. I've been building my own Desktops for years, and I never have any problems out of them. Looks like it's time to build my own Laptops from now on. It seems like if you want something done right then you have to do it yourself.

Right, that's what I figured but wanted to make sure ;)  Yeah I know that feeling  ^_^

I would also try Marcos suggestion to connect a USB keyboard.

Great to hear that! Sending the link to Marcos in a PM will be fine.  :)

FYI, my svchost.exe issue was NOT connected to ESET, but I was told that it was a known problem when it comes to Win updates on XP. Good thing is that I have not had the issue since the day I was able to download the latest Win updates around a week ago, so, so far so good.  :D

Edited by SweX

• ESET Insiders

So far I have not had the system hang with NOD 32 V7 beta, but I do have a long pause when the desktop is loading. It is freezing each time at the desktop, but it recovers on it's own. All the quick lunch icons on the taskbar fade out to a solid white color, and so do the icons on the desktop. It's freezing for a while, but so far it has recovered on it's own. I wonder if maybe NOD 32 is having a conflict with some of the firmware, or other software that came installed with this Laptop. I do know that if I uninstall some of the bloatware that came with this Laptop my bootime is shortened considerably. I'm going to continue using the beta since I will be switching to it soon anyways.

One thing I would like to mention is I experienced high CPU usage right after installing NOD 32 V7 beta. It continued to spike randomly until after I had rebooted 3 times, and it went away. I did allow NOD 32 to complete its scan after the installation. Could someome recommend me a good application to use that will monitor CPU usage, and alert me automatically when a process uses a preset threshold amount of CPU. I would also like it if the application could be configured to begin logging active processes or maybe just the process that is using high amounts of CPU. I have been using Process Monitor from Microsoft in the past, but I do not know how to configure it to do this if it is even possible. So I need an appliction to monitor active processes, alert me of a process using high CPU resources, and automatically start logging that process. I would also need a guide for how to set it up to do this. Thank you in advance for any info provided!

Edited by cutting_edgetech

• ESET Insiders

So far after 4 days of using NOD 32 V7 beta Windows has not hang when the desktop loads. It does freeze up a bit as the desktop loads, but so far it has recovered on it's own. It seems the problem is only with NOD 32 V6. I will continue using NOD 32 V7 beta. If it happens with V7 I will get a complete memory dump.