eTax software not working properly

Guest Charles

Guest Charles

Encountering an error Code: c8817 which ATO support say is being caused by my Eset Smart Security (version 6.0). Any solution to this?

• Administrators

Does disabling any of the protection modules make a difference? Did the support tell you if the error is related to network communication or something else?

Encountering an error Code: c8817 which ATO support say is being caused by my Eset Smart Security (version 6.0). Any solution to this?

You haven't said if the error is happening when downloading the software or when running it. The ATO uses a specific packer in their software download which normally causes a lot of anti virus programs to treat it as a virus.  If the problem is downloading, then just turn off protection until you download the file then you can turn you protection back on again.  The file should then install and run normally. I have used Etax for years and did find the packer problem in the last couple of years.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Darrin

Hi,

I am receiving the same error, which is occurring when etax tries to establish connection to its servers, ie to update etax or when trying to use pre-filling. I have called etax help (including a team leader), they suggested a number of things to try to and resolve the issue but all failed. In the end they said it is the antivirus and were unable to help any further. 

I have tried disabling all modules of eset but this does not help at all.

Any help would be greatly apprteciated.

thanks

Darrin

• Administrators

What about changing the firewall integration to "Only scan application protocols" or "Personal firewall is completely disabled" in the advanced setup? 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi thanks for feedback:

Tried "Only scan application protocols" - but this did not help.

Tried "Personal firewall is completely disabled" in the advanced setup? - IT WORKED!!!

thanks heaps

Hi thanks for feedback:

Tried "Only scan application protocols" - but this did not help.

Tried "Personal firewall is completely disabled" in the advanced setup? - IT WORKED!!!

thanks heaps

Your firewall is now completely disabled, so the only protection you have from outside connections would be whatever your router provides; if at all.

If someone were to obtain your public IP, your system could be compromised as easily as opening mstsc.

Are you familiar with setting up exclusions ? I would encourage this if possible to the tax software servers and whatever ports they require.

• 10 months later...

I had the  error Code: c8817 problem with Etax2014.

This works for me:-

Under Web & Email>Protocol Filtering>Excluded Applications, exclude etax2014.exe.

I have Eset Smart Security 7.0.314.9 in interactive mode. My SSL checking is set to Always scan SSL; might the error code problem have something to do with SSL

Windows 7 64bit

• Administrators

I had the  error Code: c8817 problem with Etax2014.

This works for me:-

Under Web & Email>Protocol Filtering>Excluded Applications, exclude etax2014.exe.

I have Eset Smart Security 7.0.314.9 in interactive mode. My SSL checking is set to Always scan SSL; might the error code problem have something to do with SSL

Windows 7 64bit

In that case it could be that Etax doesn't honor self-signed root certificates and thus refuses to communicate when SSL scanning is enabled. The best would be to ask the vendor of the software about the meaning of the mentioned error and whether the software is supposed to honor self-signed root certificates in the system Trusted root certification authorities certificate store.