NOD32 AV gone from best to worst for me...

prixone

Its really sad that nod32 has gone from best to worst for me at this moment.

I've upgraded from version 7 to 8 and now my entire computer freezes all day long, I uninstall nod32 av and all works like a charm, I install version 7 all works like a charm, I upgrade to 8 all borked up.

I've disabled defender specifically for version 8 along with disabling it with autoruns to no avail even tough defender works perfectly with version 7.

What is going on? My games will constantely freeze, my browser will freeze, browsing folders will make it show a loading bar, its just ridiculous. I use to love nod32 as a costumer but this gone beyond understanding how you guys borked it up in a simple update :(

I have done all possible tests before coming down to the AV being the issue it gave me a hell week of nightmare to figure out nod was the culprit since I always blindly trusted it.

If there is something that I can do to solve this issue, kindly let me know because at this point my last option is to not renew nod and uninstall it for some other AV :/

Hi Marcos,

Thanks for the suggestion, before doing that I had disabled eamonm.sys for testing and the freezes had stopped.

After your reply, I have installed that hotfix and enabled back eamonm.sys, I will post back if it continues freezing.

Thanks.

UPDATE:

That patch seems to have fixed the issue I will watch over it a lil longer to be sure of it.

Edited by prixone

• Administrators

The said hotfix is intended for freezing issues caused by Windows Filtering Platform which manifests when web protection is filtering application protocols. There's no correlation to real-time protection. Since you stated that disabling real-time protection helps, we'll need a complete memory dump from a moment when the system freezes. Please configure your system to generate complete memory dumps as per the instructions at hxxp://support.eset.com/kb380/ and generate one when the system freezes. After a computer restart, compress the dump, upload it to a safe location and pm me the download link. Also please enclose the output from running ESET Log Collector.

The resulting dump was 17GB, I compressed it as ZIP and it became 2.24GB I am currently uploading it but will take some time as my upload not that great.

Hope this dump is a good one, because uploading GB's in a 4mb upload is surely no fun.

Gonzalo,

That's exactly why I said "hope" :P

But who knows, this month been ultra bad for me so far, already lost a week dismantling and testing all parts of the pc(hoping that no parts were bad until I figured out what was the culprit) what is another 5 hours right :P

Edited by prixone

Just wanted to update here.

I have also found a few ways to fast reproduce it on my machine at least.

Method A) was browsing an website I have found and whispered Marcos with the URL where lots of images are displayed in the same page or opening multiple pages that would open lots of images the freezes would happen. I was using Firefox 4.1.

Method B) was using utorrent and downloading any multiple files be it videos or images or anything so long as they are more than 4~5, using utorrent is what cause the most visible freezes as they last longer and have a bigger frequency.

There is probably other ways to reproduce the issue but these are the 2 I have found that I can easily reproduce in my computer running nod32 version 8 which doesn't happen while running version 7.

Edited by prixone

First of all, uTorrent is a virus! use qBittorrent instead, the best free / open source alternative

See this: 

uTorrent's latest update installs a cryptocurrency miner

Matrix I appreciate the tip but that was just one of the methods available to reproduce the issue and the issue remains even after closing all related process of utorrent, until reboot is performed.

Method A happens the same way without the help of utorrent and even without both methods the issue will happen at some point while using the computer normally.

And none of this happens with version 7.

Edited by prixone

I know bro, I am just trying to minimize the culprits. you do not install a malware bundling program then complain (no offense) as then it would be difficult to islolate the issue.

Unfortunately, your best bet right now is to format as the damage that uTorrent does on your system is irreversable :( even if you uninstall it the malware will still be there.

you do not install a malware bundling program then complain (no offense) as then it would be difficult to islolate the issue.

I am sorry but I do take that as offensive, when you claim things you don't know simple to stand out thinking you have a lot of knowledge.

In first place, coming here was not my first ding, I did my homework. I test individually everything that was in my power(hardware-wise and software-wise) to pinpoint the issue before flagging nod32 v8 ON A CLEAN win7 install with NO uTorrent being used or installed at that point and what so ever.

After finding out that nod32 was causing the issue, I further started using the computer with the goal to find the issue as it doesn't happen every time but at specific moments doing specific actions, which I did pinpoint some of it that can cause the issue, unhappily it doesn't lead to what the issue is, but at least makes it reproducible.

So Matrix I hope you can just stand out of the thread since you don't add anything useful with your comments(no offense).

• Administrators

Some off topic posts removed.

We'll check the dump and see if the cause of the freeze can be determined. I'll do my best to update you by the beginning of the next week.

• 2 weeks later...

As an update, ESET took the trouble to analyze the dump I've sent them, where they identified that the application of a big bank from my region was causing the issue. They also offered to help them by giving out the information to the related issue and further in how to even fix it.

I have forwarded the bank development sector contact to ESET and have received today a message from the development sector saying that they have received ESET's information and are working together to solve the issue.

I appreciate ESET efforts and am looking forward to see this problem resolved.

Best regards.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Could you try upgrading to EAV v9? One of our resellers confirmed that the problem doesn't occur on Windows 10 with EAV v9 installed.

Sorry on the delay.

I use windows 7, was hoping to change to 10 but not stable enough yet.

If you guys need to run tests you can download the bank application here:

https://www14.bancobrasil.com.br/diagnostico/DiagnosticoBB.exe

I would rather not test it further since I am on tight deadlines at the moment so I had to split using my cellphone for bank operations while having it uninstalled from any of my computers for now. Was planning to test again before my subscription runs out.

Unhappily GAS Tecnologia the company responsible for the app never replied as to whether they fixed it or not and neither I saw any moves from ESET until now and honestly I don't know who is to blame in this scenarios since its clearly a conflict between the 2 applications given both run smoothly without the other.

Edited by prixone