Windows 10 forget folder view setting when ESS is installed

Right click on blank desktop space >>  Personalization  >> Themes >> Desktop Icons >> Uncheck allow themes to change desktop icons.

I may have had this happen even though I use a solid color desktop.

There is also a bat file around to rebuild the icon cache.

Doesn't help, the issue seems to occur after ESS removes malware/potential malware - it's as if a registry entry is borked or removed completely upon said malware removal.

As I said, it's a shame, as I'm now forced to look elsewhere. (temporarily - I hope)

I tried to rebuild the icon cache without any luck. I have read about this problem over the years, but first time I

have had it happen to me. I am going to remove ess to test.

Uninstalled ESS, no change. You guys are lookin in the wrong direction or some else just decided to screw up.

Ken I appreciate that you are trying to help, but you are a little off the mark.

The issue has page after page of posts on various websites pointing out that their icons no longer stay where put after a restart and the folder views are not saved either - example can't save as list view. keeps reverting to small/big icons whatever.

Okay, the issue appears to be the result of Eset removing malware (as I said in an earlier post) following this removal the issue arises. 

It is *not* just a general fault, the only time it happens is following the removal of malware, even potential malware as it was in my case.

Furthermore, uninstalling Eset *after* the bug has been discovered does *not* fix the issue, it would appear something is corrupted during the malware removal (again as I said earlier)

Thank you for your interest.

:)  ;)  :P

The machine in question was ok yesterday and only had Eset SS definition update. No scans done no warnings. I installed Outpost Security Suite

and will try a scan later. I read about this trouble for many years, but never had it.

• Most Valued Members

Uninstalled ESS, no change. You guys are lookin in the wrong direction or some else just decided to screw up.

Ken I appreciate that you are trying to help, but you are a little off the mark.

The issue has page after page of posts on various websites pointing out that their icons no longer stay where put after a restart and the folder views are not saved either - example can't save as list view. keeps reverting to small/big icons whatever.

Okay, the issue appears to be the result of Eset removing malware (as I said in an earlier post) following this removal the issue arises. 

It is *not* just a general fault, the only time it happens is following the removal of malware, even potential malware as it was in my case.

Furthermore, uninstalling Eset *after* the bug has been discovered does *not* fix the issue, it would appear something is corrupted during the malware removal (again as I said earlier)

I have v8/win10 on a laptop that has never had any "notification" of a virus or removal , no problems with folders or icons.

Desktop v9/win10 that HAS had a "notification" of a virus removal on an email i received and this is the machine with the messed up desktop icons and folder views.

Not sure if this is a ESET problem or a MICROSOFT problem as windows 10 is really still in its infancy.

Surely someone from ESET who is reading this forum/thread can replicate what other users are saying is "triggering" this problem and get round to providing an answer.

I really don't fancy the idea of formatting and reinstalling windows and all my software to fix small (but annoying) bugs.

Exactly. I can sign every word. The same issue here. The same symptoms.

INSTALL WINDOWS 10 (WITH FORMAT)
INSTALL ESET SS8 WITH LAST UPDATE
SCAN A FOLDER WITH INSIDE MALWARE SAMPLES *
I RESTART WINDOWS
= Windows 10: Folder View Settings and Desktop Icon Positions NOT SAVING**

INSTALL WINDOWS 10 AND WINDOWS UPDATE (WITH FORMAT)
INSTALL ALL DRIVERS (LAST VERSION)
INSTALL ESET SS8 WITH LAST UDPATE
SCAN A FOLDER WITH INSIDE MALWARE SAMPLES *
I RESTART WINDOWS
= Windows 10: Folder View Settings and Desktop Icon Positions NOT SAVING**

INSTALL ALL DRIVERS (LAST VERSION)
I RESTART WINDOWS
= Windows 10: Folder View Settings and Desktop Icon Positions SAVING ALL OK NO BUGS

I RESTART WINDOWS
= Windows 10: Folder View Settings and Desktop Icon Positions SAVING ALL OK NO BUGS

**BUGS COME OUT ONLY IF ESET DETECT MALWARE, PUA, PUP
*DETECT ON SCAN = THE SYSTEM IS CLEAN NOT INFECTED

I had this big problem with my Windows 10 Pro x64 machine. Had to reinstall windows 10 several times Before i figure it out in my case.

Turned out ESET deleted Winzip 18.5 files, that was the cause of windows not remembering Icon positions, and desktop view.

Then used systemrestore and it was back normal again.

Weird.

I had this big problem with my Windows 10 Pro x64 machine. Had to reinstall windows 10 several times Before i figure it out in my case.

Turned out ESET deleted Winzip 18.5 files, that was the cause of windows not remembering Icon positions, and desktop view.

Then used systemrestore and it was back normal again.

Weird.

I don't have Winzip. So it have to be something else as well.

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

Our developers are looking into the issue to find out what could be causing the behaviour, so as soon as we have any new information, we will let you know.

Regards,

T.

Hello,

Our developers are looking into the issue to find out what could be causing the behaviour, so as soon as we have any new information, we will let you know.

Regards,

T.

Many many thanks! Please try to beat this "fu...ing ""little"" issue". Help us, please. Good Luck for everyone who helpes.

• Administrators

Unfortunately, we were unable to reproduce the issue. Please somebody create a Process Monitor log from the moment you modify the folder view settings and re-open the folder view setup, compress it, upload it to a safe location and pm me the download link. Could you confirm that no threat had been detected shortly before the issue occurred?

Unfortunately, we were unable to reproduce the issue. Please somebody create a Process Monitor log from the moment you modify the folder view settings and re-open the folder view setup, compress it, upload it to a safe location and pm me the download link. Could you confirm that no threat had been detected shortly before the issue occurred?

just wait tomorrow i am uploading in your FTP my system snapshot image

Hello,

Thank you for the information. We have been notified by our HQ that they cannot replicate the issue easily.

If you are able to assist us with this matter, we would need an image file of your drive after the issue has happened.

This way, we will be able to send an image that contains all possible info about the issue and solve the issue more quickly.

If you agree, you can get an image of your system partition with a trial of StorageCraft:

After installing SC, please reboot your computer and take a full backup of your partition.

Please note the filename of the backup image you got. You may also password-lock the image during the backup procedure.

You may upload the image file to the following server, but please send us the filename and the password if you used one:

Thank you for your cooperation.

Best regards,

Support Team

Technical Support Team  |  ESET Hellas  | www.eset.com/gr

I cannot help for now as i did a system restore and i'm staying without eset until the issue is fixed, though i can tell that when you modify the folder view setup nothing changes in the registry, it's like the system is unable to read/write in the registry bags where folder/icon settings are stored.

When ESET finds a potentially dangerous threat, somehow changes some of the registry permissions.

Until a week ago i had my system which was upgraded from windows 8.1, same eset version i belive and i didn't have any issue.

The issue arised when i did a clean w10 install and eset found a potentially dangerous software in one of my files (though it's not dangerous, it's just an installer with extra junk software) .so either one of the latest update broke something or the issue is replicable only on windows 10 clean installs

Edited by venzo92

enable PUA and PUP (potentially unwanted applications and potentially unsafe applications ) detection and download for example ammyy from hxxp://www.ammyy.com/AA_v3.exe if eset catch it select quarantine or delete and restart the system

Edited by JAMESWT

I did this some day ago with Windows Step Recorder.

HERE on Usercloud