Windows 10 forget folder view setting when ESS is installed

I'm really desperate now!

My folder view settings are not being saved (change folder preference to thumbnail view -> close window -> reopen same folder but always displays in details mode).
This happens on a Windows 10 newly installed, perfectly working till I install Eset Smart Security  (version 8.0.319.0).
Along with many other people we have noticed that the problem occurs only after installing Eset and we are discussing on this issue in different Windows forums since 3 weeks.
We have already tried Windows reset, Windows restore, format and new install: every time the problem reappears when we install Eset Smart Security.
For someone after a virus alert, for me no virus alert: everything is working fine and suddenly no way to have my folder setting working.
I've searched a lot over internet and found related things like "Apply to folders" in folders options, Bags reset, scancfg, Zeroaccess rootkit and etc but nothing helped. 
And after days of searching really a lot of people have noticed that the problem is created after installed Eset and after the program warns to have blocked a potential risk (in my case it was just a webpage).

Anyone here with the same problem?
Thanks to everyone for any help.

PS I'm trying to post this problem in the "Contact support" but no way to have it sent: when I click "Send email to Eset support" a wheel start running and after minutes is still there but the request is not sent!!!

I just want to chime in & say I also have this problem! It took ages to figure out it was ESET causing it.

I tried uninstalling ESET but the problem remains.

Really need a fix for this it's extremely annoying!

This is my problem, too.

In addition, the position of desktop icons and their size is not remembered after refreshing the desktop.

To the developers of ESET: WHEN is this issue expected to be fixed????

I have this problem as well, but with NOD32 and Windows 10 pro x64. You are not alone. There are many people suffering from this issue since the past few days. hxxp://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/17175-windows-10-folder-view-settings-desktop-icon-positions-not-saving.htmlHere's a large thread on another forum where people have the exact same problem. They also all seem to have ESET products installed coupled with W10. Let's hope ESET can push out a fix sometime soon.

I too have these same issues!!! This is indeed an ESET problem, although they will probably try to blame someone else, as they did with the recent BSD issue. Hopefully they are actively working on a fix, otherwise I'm in search of another vendor, after being a loyal customer for 10+ years.

I'm still searching for a solution and the only thing I can say is that it seems that only Windows 10 in English is affected by this problem.

I cannot find any French or Italian  forum with people speaking about this.

As Brehon wrote, we are discussing for this problem in Tenforum: HERE and HERE.

Personally, I'm not sure about an interaction between Eset and Win 10, but it seems that almost all those who have this problem use Eset Smart Security.

I wrote to Customer Care opening a ticket and I'm waiting for an answer.

It should be a good choice if all of you does the same thing.

Edited by BigBearLio

• Administrators

The view settings are not remembered on my Win 10 either (build 10240), however, it's happening also on a system without ESET installed. Does temporarily uninstalling ESET actually make a difference?

The view settings are not remembered on my Win 10 either (build 10240), however, it's happening also on a system without ESET installed. Does temporarily uninstalling ESET actually make a difference?

No, It doesn't

Nobody has mentioned a mess with desktop icons whose position is also not remembered. This co-exists along with the folder view settings problem.

Hi, i have sthe same problem since yesterday! Windows 10 Home + Eset SS 8.0319.0

same issue here, it started 3 days ago right after eset detected a false positive (version 8.0.319.1)

if i restore right before eset is installed the issues are gone, though i wish i won't have to do that as i've reinstalled a lot of software/settings.

if it can be of any help to the dev team, it seems like the system cannot write/read anymore the shell\bags path in regedit, as by using "shellbagsview from nirsoft" i can see that the folder preference are not created/modified, and even if i import the registry settings from the system state before the issue appears, the settings become visible on shellbagsview, but if i open the folder and resize the icons or the window, the lastmodifieddate still remains the old one.

Uninstalling eset doesn't fix the issue, something gets corrupted.

Please let us know if there's a fix as soon as possible

I can confirm the problem. Desktop icons and folder view settings are messed. The only solution so far (beside doing system restore) is to uninstall Eset and run MS Windows 10 update tool choosing to preserve everything. Then install another AV for a time being.

I'm still searching for a solution and the only thing I can say is that it seems that only Windows 10 in English is affected by this problem.

I cannot find any French or Italian  forum with people speaking about this.

It is there regardless of language. My system is Russian and I have the problem. The type of Eset product (Antivirus, Smart Security etc...) is also unimportant.

Seems the trouble is also connected somehow to the latest Windows 10 KB3095020 update. Up until that everything was OK, at least for me. As soon as update has been installed I've received the problem. Guess Eset and the update are incompatible.

• Most Valued Members

Got a laptop and a desktop running win 10 RTM , laptop with v8 runs without this issue. Desktop with v9 has the issue.

Both have all updates installed. Both were win 10 upgrades and not clean installs.

No, already tried.... No way.

With system restore, restoring OS before the problem, it's OK until Eset gives a new warning or quarantined a virus.

Same with a Windows refresh: I did all this different solution, but still with the problem.

Nobody has mentioned a mess with desktop icons whose position is also not remembered. This co-exists along with the folder view settings problem.

You are right.

I didn't mention because I don't have any desktop icon using Rainmeter. 

But yes, it's the same problem :(

Seems the trouble is also connected somehow to the latest Windows 10 KB3095020 update. Up until that everything was OK, at least for me. As soon as update has been installed I've received the problem. Guess Eset and the update are incompatible.

I have not received any update with that signature, but my problem started the day 16 and on the same day ESS has quarantined a trojan.

This is the only operation by ESS in 22 days since I installed Win 10.

I have had the same issue, other than this it has been running brilliantly, but this is a mess, sadly.

After being a long time customer I've been forced to uninstall, re-install Windows and install the 6 month Bitdefender trial.

However, I will return to Eset as soon as I know that this is fixed.

Fingers crossed!

How are you changing the folder view, step by step  please ?

On 3 Win 10 machines with ESS installed, only one is changing desktop icon locations.

Please answer first question so I can test.

Edited by ken1943

Right click on blank desktop space >>  Personalization  >> Themes >> Desktop Icons >> Uncheck allow themes to change desktop icons.

I may have had this happen even though I use a solid color desktop.

There is also a bat file around to rebuild the icon cache.

Edited by ken1943

• Most Valued Members

Right click on blank desktop space >>  Personalization  >> Themes >> Desktop Icons >> Uncheck allow themes to change desktop icons.

I may have had this happen even though I use a solid color desktop.

Tried it, makes no difference. Icons still wont stay on the area of the desktop where they are placed.