Anyone else NOT make the upgrade to 6.2 yet?

I upgraded from version 5 to 6.1 back in December for the North American release and that was before it was February Global release most of you are familiar with. I don't need to describe the endless issues and hurdles we've had to overcome since then. Even though the new release looks shiny and new, I've held back from upgrading to 6.2 for a variety of reasons. I won't go into detail because they've all been said numerous times across these forums since version 6 was initially released. 

And quite frankly, I'm glad I held back. The growing thread on 6.2 agents causing freezes is a major red flag. To think that client computers will be freezing and having performance drops randomly from this product is crazy. Even more crazy is the fact that ESET is pushing the blame from their buggy product to a missing optional Windows update. So now we need to create and deploy a GPO to install this optional KB? Why would this need to be required? Shouldn't the product be tested and functional on a fully up-to-date system ?

I have my current build of ERAS running without any issues and I know how to quickly resolve any errors that may arise. I don't want to have to put myself back to square one again by upgrading.

To the others who have not upgraded yet, how long do you plan on running the latest build of ERAS 6.1 before upgrading, if at all? 

To those who have already upgraded, thanks for your bravery and perseverance. 

• ESET Staff
Shouldn't the product be tested and functional on a fully up-to-date system ?

To the others who have not upgraded yet, how long do you plan on running the latest build of ERAS 6.1 before upgrading, if at all? 

Hi @bbraimstein,

As for the second question, we follow the "if its running good, don't touch it" rule. :)

We are taking the time to learn step by step the new version 6.2 on separated environment.

I think as many ESET products this is a powerful one, just we need to adapt to the change which as all "changes" requires times and embrace.

What stop you to test ERA v6.2 on a small network (controlled environment) outside of daily one?

Edited by Gonzalo Alvarez

I upgraded from version 5 to 6.1 back in December for the North American release and that was before it was February Global release most of you are familiar with. I don't need to describe the endless issues and hurdles we've had to overcome since then. Even though the new release looks shiny and new, I've held back from upgrading to 6.2 for a variety of reasons. I won't go into detail because they've all been said numerous times across these forums since version 6 was initially released. 

And quite frankly, I'm glad I held back. The growing thread on 6.2 agents causing freezes is a major red flag. To think that client computers will be freezing and having performance drops randomly from this product is crazy. Even more crazy is the fact that ESET is pushing the blame from their buggy product to a missing optional Windows update. So now we need to create and deploy a GPO to install this optional KB? Why would this need to be required? Shouldn't the product be tested and functional on a fully up-to-date system ?

I have my current build of ERAS running without any issues and I know how to quickly resolve any errors that may arise. I don't want to have to put myself back to square one again by upgrading.

To those who have already upgraded, thanks for your bravery and perseverance. 

I admire you for upgrading from v5 to v6 at first place. We are still on v5. I'm running 6.x only on test machines. 6.2 proved to me that it's not ready for production.

They pointed out that they will ship several major releases until end of year. So I'm waiting for few more releases to make decision to move away from ESET to other product.

6.2 proved to me that it's not ready for production.

What issues are you having with ERA 6.2 that haven't been addressed?

- Protect Agent on clients via password (I was able to remove agent as user that had admin privileges, I was not asked for password I set in Access setup via policy).

- Protect Security products via password (even after I applied policy for Access setup - Password protect settings I was able to access settings. Only after hiding interface via policy I was unable to access interface permanently)

- Program Component Updates via Offline Mirror Tool (my clients that don't have access to internet need central LAN repository for all updates, not just antivirus database. My guess was that you will integrate this in ERA interface and not make it seperate tool. Will this be possible in future?)

- Make offline installer feature (just like live installer) that would install era agent and security product installed together on client. Have this installer preconfigured with settings for cennecting to ERA server. (this is what most of other solutions do)

- Syslog (bring back logging to syslog I don't want to look at slow ERA V6 at all for threats)

- Console (bring back console for people who want to use it. Better yet, create pool for that, you might get surprised)

- Clients don't apply policy immediately after they connect to ERA (tested with ERA appliance and virtual Windows 10 clients)

- Make detailed documentation (because your documentation is already missing some good explanation of this entire V6 product I suggest that you stop  with pools and make full documentation. I have never seen anyone make pool for documenation. If you make pool for what features we want that would be cool. Making this pool on general website and social sites would help in number of voters.)

Edited by bbahes

• ESET Staff

- Make offline installer feature (just like live installer) that would install era agent and security product installed together on client. Have this installer preconfigured with settings for cennecting to ERA server. (this is what most of other solutions do)

You should discover already with the new model ERAv6 comes a new way to do the things.

The key is deploy the agent, after I do whatever I want. (that's the theory at least) :)

"(this is what most of other solutions do)", By experience not always the "others" do is the only

way to do things or "the best".

"all paths lead to Rome" (not accurate but valid as example I trying to say).

You should discover already with the new model ERAv6 comes a new way to do the things.

The key is deploy the agent, after I do whatever I want. (that's the theory at least) :)

"(this is what most of other solutions do)", By experience not always the "others" do is the only

way to do things or "the best".

"all paths lead to Rome" (not accurate but valid as example I trying to say).

The problem with small to medium companies is that management does not want to invest in IT infrastructure that often. So at the moment in network with nearly 100 clients we don't have active directory, or solution to deploy Agent automatically. Also we have large amount of client notebooks that don't have any access to internet. So we are left with manual deployment.

We have tested other solutions and they do offer single installer for agent and security solution. I don't see any reason why ESET shouldn't be able to produce same thing.

I agree with you that "what others do isn't allways the best way to do". It's what I have been saying about ERA web interface from first release.

• ESET Staff

That is true, small and medium-sized businesses (SMBs) don't invest in IT. Some of the worst cases is when the "technician" is just a guy they hire who makes repairs on home clients not a network knowledge. :(

I guess the laptops with "no internet access" have network access, so..

How about to put the Agent in a shared folder and mail/phone all user to execute the Agent's installer?

@Marcos, If you deploy the RD sensor, shouldn't see all PC on the network and can deploy the agent??

Wow, we have networks with 3 users that have active directory. For a business running Windows, you shouldn't have anything else. Server 2012 R2 can be bought for £500, I would hardly call that an "investment" :-)

If you download the agent live installer, it's just a text file. Open it in something like UltraEdit and you can very easily (two lines to edit) change it to download the agent from a shared folder rather than from the internet. Then get that file to the clients, or login to them via TeamViewer or PSExec, and run it. It will then grab the MSI from your shared folder and install it.

We used this approach recently on a site with poor internet connectivity. We downloaded it once the server and then deployed the modified installer file (text file, just a few KB) to the clients. The clients then grabbed the Agent installer (100MB) from our server, rather than them all (35 of them) downloading it from the internet.

Just my view....

Jim

Wow, we have networks with 3 users that have active directory. For a business running Windows, you shouldn't have anything else. Server 2012 R2 can be bought for £500, I would hardly call that an "investment" :-)

If you download the agent live installer, it's just a text file. Open it in something like UltraEdit and you can very easily (two lines to edit) change it to download the agent from a shared folder rather than from the internet. Then get that file to the clients, or login to them via TeamViewer or PSExec, and run it. It will then grab the MSI from your shared folder and install it.

We used this approach recently on a site with poor internet connectivity. We downloaded it once the server and then deployed the modified installer file (text file, just a few KB) to the clients. The clients then grabbed the Agent installer (100MB) from our server, rather than them all (35 of them) downloading it from the internet.

Just my view....

Jim

Spending that amount of money is not that much. But if you count that we would have to invest in hardware (server, ups) as well in license (CALs) than amount you speak about goes up ;)

Paying 2000 € every year just to make my own scripts? I know it's possible, but where is value in that software then if I have to make everything on my own...

Edited by bbahes

No-one suggests making your own scripts, it's just a suggestion toc ustomise the eset script to download the MSI locally.

In my test lab I had tested most scenarios for deployment. Including AD and custom scripts. However I expect for money I pay, solution that does this for me. I would understand this manual approach if ESET was open source project, but they are commercial company and I am their customer...well until February next year :)

• ESET Staff

@bbahes, If you expect "that" service from ESET you should contact their support directly/ the distributors or whatever you buy it from...

and tell them what you want.

How I can say it?? :huh:

Every software has his own "terms of service" and "service" which is hard for us (customers) to understand which model they are running.

As I point (somewhere) ESET made good products and stable design to work under certain conditions (aka = industry guidelines, ISO, etc), however they never achieve all possible case scenarios of deployment. So, is there when the IT guy comes to save the day, because he is on charge/duty/job to "make it happen" inside the company and keep things running.

Again, you should contact support to assist you, here in forums we are bunch of guys/girls helping each other and talking about it. :)

"Good Samaritan"

@bbahes, If you expect "that" service from ESET you should contact their support directly/ the distributors or whatever you buy it from...

and tell them what you want.

It's not that I think that their support in Croatia is not capable of handling my requests, they did several times, but all they did is to redirect me to KB article which sometimes did not solve my problem. However they will, like once they did, say they will forward request to developers, or announce feature that never came and never report back.

I'm posting here in hope that some of ESET developers actually read forums or at least they get direct messages through support team in forum.

• ESET Staff

In my opinion the "fast" way to get an answer is using the ticket they give you or open/re-open one.

Marcos is doing a great job reading/replying the forums here, he is from ESET.-

Edited by Gonzalo Alvarez