EAV 4.2 block user profiles on WinXP

katbert

This week one of our client reports about issue with Eset Antivirus 4.2.71.3 on Windows XP SP3

Users of WinXP workstations in many remote braches can't work with their profiles

Workstations are not memebers of domain

On each workstation exist 2 accounts - 'user' and 'admi'n, and 'user' auto-logon to Windows after boot

If I logoff from user session and try to logon with admin account - windows can't load admin's profile and use temp profile

But if I disable default startup scan task (started when user logon) in ESET sheduler - problem does not occur

Maybe last ESET updates break something?

How to look at startup scan task logs?

Edited by katbert

• Administrators

Version 4.2 is quite old and doesn't provide sufficient protection against newly emerging threats. It's also supported only in terms of signature updates. Does installing the latest version of Endpoint Antivirus 6.2.2021 make a difference? (use default settings and enable LiveGrid during installation).

• Administrators

Not sure what you mean by startup logs. Why don't you upgrade to Endpoint v5 or v6 which also provide much better protection thanks to new technologies, such as LiveGrid, HIPS, Advanced memory scanner, Exploit blocker, etc.? Personally I wouldn't keep any older version installed as those computers would be exposed to newly emerging threats without using the above mentioned features.

We started migration to v5

Not sure what you mean by startup logs.

Tools\Sceduler\ startup scan when user logon

Same question for v5 - where to find logs of startup scan?

• ESET Moderators

This scan is not logged, as its purpose is different from running a full scan and notifying you of its result. In case of the startup scan, the idea is to quickly check the critical files and folders and notify the user only when there is something to be taken care of.