ESS is crashing Dota2 on startup. Need detailed explanation.

Hello,

several people are having issues with the current version of smart security, as it is crashing the Dota 2 Reborn Beta on startup. I found this post https://forum.eset.com/topic/1576-eset-7-interactive-firewall-problems-with-some-games/#entry9468

which sounds like it could solve the matter, unfortunately, it's not specific enough for me, to fully understand how to enable the logging. I tried and nothing showed up, so my game still crashes when I launch it, unless I disable the personal firewall which is especially annoying, because I only disable it for an hour and when I get end a game, the game crashes and I have to end it via the task manager.

Anyways, please explain more detailed or fix your ######, my license runs out in two months. ;P

Edit: Workaround until this is fixed: deactivate your personal firewall before starting dota2.

Edited by an_onsider

• Administrators

Then carry on as follows:

- enable logging of blocked communications in the IDS setup

- clear your ESS firewall log

- reproduce the problem

- stop logging

- copy & paste the firewall records here.

15.09.2015 22:47:53    Port von keiner Applikation verwendet    50.28.75.27:443    192.168.178.118:56348    TCP            
15.09.2015 22:47:53    Port von keiner Applikation verwendet    50.28.75.27:443    192.168.178.118:56348    TCP          

I don't know what the exact english translation of "port von keiner Applikation verwendet" is but I'd guess "port not (being) used by an application" is pretty close.

Edit: If i shouldn't include the complete IP address, just edit them out please. @mod

Edited by an_onsider

• ESET Moderators

I see the connection goes to port 443, so it is encrypted. Please disable SSL scanning in ESET Smart Security and see whether that makes a difference.

(Open ESS, press F5 to open advanced setup, go to Web and mail > Protocol filtering > SSL and choose Do not scan SSL protocol)

Hello

I have the same problem as onsider

Whenever i start Dota it frozes after main logo

i found this in my logs

23.09.2015 19:58:11 Paket bol blokovaný aktívnou ochranou 192.168.0.111 192.168.0.111 ARP
23.09.2015 19:58:09 Paket bol blokovaný aktívnou ochranou 192.168.0.111 192.168.0.111 ARP

translate: Packet was blocked by active protection

i already enabled this kind of communication 

I see the connection goes to port 443, so it is encrypted. Please disable SSL scanning in ESET Smart Security and see whether that makes a difference.

(Open ESS, press F5 to open advanced setup, go to Web and mail > Protocol filtering > SSL and choose Do not scan SSL protocol)

SSL was already set to "don't scan".

Hello

I have the same problem as onsider

Whenever i start Dota it frozes after main logo

i found this in my logs

23.09.2015 19:58:11 Paket bol blokovaný aktívnou ochranou 192.168.0.111 192.168.0.111 ARP
23.09.2015 19:58:09 Paket bol blokovaný aktívnou ochranou 192.168.0.111 192.168.0.111 ARP

translate: Packet was blocked by active protection

i already enabled this kind of communication 

Yeah, lots of people are having that issue. That's why I opened a dedicated thread. reddit didn't seem to be too helpful, unfortunately, we're still looking for a solution here, to...

If you are using version 5 and above - try turning on Gamer Mode,

I use this and have no issues with any game, nor via game portals like Steam or BattleNet

Thanks for your suggestion. I tried it. It seemed like it worked but then it didn't. The game still crashes :(

Anyays, I've never used the Gamer Mode and never had any trouble aside from having to let games through the firewall once. It's only the current Dota2 - Eset interaction that bugs me out.

It would be great if ESET could reply to this problem, its getting on my nervs, i keep telling myself that ESET SS8 is great that it can block communications that others cant so my PC is safe. But as lot of them (in ESET) are playing games they should know how frustrating it is to not be able to play!

Tell me what information you need and ill try my best to provide it.

Also it bugs my why is Firewall blocking ARP communication which is obviously internal communication according to IPs, and it is doing so nevertheless i made the rule not to.

• ESET Moderators

Hi, as the general troubleshooting did not result in a solution of this issue, I recommend to submit a ticket to our support team at www.eset.com/support

It would be great if ESET could reply to this problem, its getting on my nervs, i keep telling myself that ESET SS8 is great that it can block communications that others cant so my PC is safe. But as lot of them (in ESET) are playing games they should know how frustrating it is to not be able to play!

Tell me what information you need and ill try my best to provide it.

Also it bugs my why is Firewall blocking ARP communication which is obviously internal communication according to IPs, and it is doing so nevertheless i made the rule not to.

I feel you, therefore I will do this:

Hi, as the general troubleshooting did not result in a solution of this issue, I recommend to submit a ticket to our support team at www.eset.com/support

And then get report back to this thread. Let's hope that the ESET support is faster than Valve's. :D