Smart Security 5 not working after Windows update

I just allowed Windows to update itself, and upon restart, ESET Smart Security 5 doesn't work. When I try to turn the program on, I get an error saying "cannot communicate with kernel." Please help!

It eventually started on its own, but is now set to start manually rather than automatically. I tried to switch it to automatic (it was automatic before the windows update), and got an "access denied" message. I am logged into the computer as the administrator, so I'm baffled.

I have not tried re-installing (I have v5 rather than v6, fwiw) as the service is running after all...just not running automatically. Might the windows update somehow have placed restrictions on my ability to alter my ESET settings?

It eventually started on its own, but is now set to start manually rather than automatically. I tried to switch it to automatic (it was automatic before the windows update), and got an "access denied" message. I am logged into the computer as the administrator, so I'm baffled.

I have not tried re-installing (I have v5 rather than v6, fwiw) as the service is running after all...just not running automatically. Might the windows update somehow have placed restrictions on my ability to alter my ESET settings?

Also, I did not have the zero.access malware. I ran the bot cleaner as directed and rebooted. Everything seems to be working now. Thanks for the help!