Block ANY incoming and outcoming traffic from and to other hosts in the same network

Dun

Hello,

I use ESET Smart Security 9.0.141.0 beta. DHCP range on my router is set up to 192.168.1.2-192.168.1.252. The router address is *254, AP address is *253.

I have firewall in 'Interactive mode' to control apps internet access. I want to block ANY incoming and outcoming traffic from and to other hosts in the same network. I marked home network as public (same for any new networks without asking).

Firewall rules I've tried to add manually:

1) 192.168.1.2-192.168.1.252 range in 'local' tab in IP field, direction 'both', action 'deny', protocol 'any', notify user 'yes',

2) Adding 192.168.1.2-192.168.1.252 range to new 'zone' first and then select the zone instead of IP range in rule editor.

None of them worked, I still could send ping requests and got replies.

I will appreciate any given help

• ESET Moderators

Hello Dun,

The rules are theoretically correct, however, in case you initially (upon the installation of ESS) marked the network as "Home or office network", it is now trusted and this takes precedence over the firewall rules.

In order to block traffic on your network, you need to go to Setup > Network protection > Connected networks and mark the network as "Public network".

Regards,

T.

• 5 months later...

I resolved this by blocking access to all LAN IPs except mine and router/AP IPs. For some unknown (to me) reason I had to use 2 firewall rules: one Local hosts rule and one Remote hosts rule. Weird

Edited by Dun