NOD32 and Windows Update Notification

Jer

Using NOD32 8.0.319.0 with clean install of Win10 Pro.  NOD32 keeps indicating there is a 'recommended' and 'optional' System Update available but Windows Update shows no updates.  Is this a bug?  Thanks.

• Administrators

The information about missing Windows updates is provided by the operating system itself. Just out of curiosity, aren't you using a metered wi-fi or mobile broadband connection? Maybe in such case Windows would show that no updates were available but at the same time it would provide information about the availability of updates to 3rd party applications. I don't have any experience with this but maybe somebody else has.

MS came up with a recommended update & an optional update.  They both were ok. 

However, when i gave permission to download, W-10 started downloading!  I hit cancel.

Now, when i want to install MS recommended update, W-10 is in the background, "poised" to download.

I use broadband.

This is one of my pet peeves with NOD32, I know it's trying to protect me but as of recently many updates are bad and users may not want to install them. Is there a way to tell NOD32 to leave me and my OS updates alone?

This is one of my pet peeves with NOD32, I know it's trying to protect me but as of recently many updates are bad and users may not want to install them. Is there a way to tell NOD32 to leave me and my OS updates alone?

Eset Advanced setup -> Tools -> System updates -> No updates

post-6784-0-37524000-1442168990_thumb.png

Eset Advanced setup -> Tools -> System updates -> No updates

attachicon.gifEset_System_Updates.png

Thanks a lottttttt man!! Awesome!!!!! never knew that and I've been using NOD32 for 10 years :D

BTW - W-10 still wants to download when i go for critical updtes only to be notified of.  I think  i gave permission for w-10 to update at some time in the future.  Help! :)

Hello jems. Not sure what you are using, but in Win 7 what you can do is:

(1) Hide the update

You can hide the update, and then Windows Update won't (supposedly :unsure: ) offer it to you again unless you choose to restore it. Here's how to hide an update:

Open Windows Update:

1. Do one of the following:

• Click the link that tells you important updates are available if you have important updates to hide.

• Click the link that tells you optional updates are available if you have optional updates to hide.

2. Select any update that you want to hide, right-click it, and then click Hide update. Do this for each update you want to hide.

3. Click OK.

and (2) change your update setting to "check for updates but let me choose what to download and install".

post-556-0-32906200-1442262301_thumb.jpg

I would then jot down the update #(s) you hid-just in case. I keep a list to compare against the next batch of updates that Mocrosoft sends me.

I review all the updates Microsoft thinks I need. Security updates are one thing, but other "optional" or "recommended" updates are another matter.

Edited by TomFace

thanks tom - yeah - i got 8.1

I have adjusted setting to ask me permission before both downloading & installing updates.  Ill see what happens when MS has more patches.

Cheers.

Thanks for the good tip, Tom - RE - r.mouse klik on hiding w-10.  It works!  On 7 & 8.1

However, after i download the updates after hiding w-10 - guess what -:)  it is there again. 

so i guess i will just do the R.mouse klik and hide it (w-10) each time i check for MS updates.

I'll be on the road - might have a hard time getting internet connection - going to a place off the radar.  About 6 weeks. 

However, when (if) i find a way to get online, i'll check this forum.  It is very good.

Thanks again for all the help you have been.

• 1 month later...

In Windows 10, a related question after you switch off ESET reminders is to how get rid of unwanted updates (on MS applications that are not installed on your system). It is possible with a tool distributed by MS itself: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930.

First, you have to remove unwanted updates using Menu (R-clk) > Programs and functions > Show installed updates, then remove them with R-clk and then use the MS wushowhide.diagcab tool from the link.

If you do a google search for disabling Win10 update on Win 7 or similar there are numerous articles describing how to prevent Win 10 from downloading and disabling the tray notification. It involves removing three MS updates from your PC and hiding them in MS Update so that they don't download again.

Unfortunately MS are getting quite persistent in trying to force Win 10 and telemetry on users of older systems. I'm in that habit now of reading the published information on every update that's offered now, before deciding whether to install it.

One of the reasons I'm not "upgrading" to Win 10 is the lack of transparency over what updates contain and the inability of the end user to decide whether to accept them.

• 2 weeks later...