Nod32 Antivirus causing Freezing/Blue Screen in Windows 10

Jester

I recently upgraded my laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 10 Home.  At the time I was using version 8 of Nod 32 but not the latest version. Windows 10 upgraded fine but I was plagued with either the screen freezing (or blue screen) near the end of the bootup, at the login screen, or during logging in while the rest of the startup applications bootup. If I got through all of that half the time the Windows taskbar would stop responding within a minute or so of using Windows.

I would say about 7 out of 10 times of me booting up my laptop I would encounter problems. After looking over several things and upgrading a few applications I narrowed it down to Nod32.  Even after upgrading to the latest version I have run into these problems. I have installed Nod32 3 times and still have the same problems.  During one of my uninstalls there was a problem with the taskbar freezing so Nod32 didn't complete the uninstall so I did have to use the special uninstall program provided by Eset which worked fine and I was able to reinstall Nod32. I currently have Nod32 uninstalled and am running Windows Defender.  I have had no problems with Windows 10 during use or booting up with Defender running and Nod32 uinstalled.

How should we go about getting this issue figured out?  I want to upgrade my other desktops but all of them use Nod32 and I don't want to run into the same situation.

Thanks

Tom

Edited by Jester

• Administrators

Hi Tom,

first of all, we'd need you to narrow it down to the particular protection module or driver which needs to be disabled for the issue not to occur.

Let's try the following, one at a time:

1, disable real-time protection

2, disable protocol filtering

3, rename C:\Windows\System32\drivers\eamonm.sys in safe mode

4, rename C:\Windows\System32\drivers\ehdrv.sys in safe mode

Windows defender was disabled.  I had to enable it through the control panel after I finished uninstalling Nod32 for the last time.

Not sure what you are referring to with its 2 startup entries?

Windows defender was disabled.  I had to enable it through the control panel after I finished uninstalling Nod32 for the last time.

Not sure what you are referring to with its 2 startup entries?

After disabling Windows Defender, do this:

1) Download Autoruns

2) Extract the *.zip file of Autoruns

3) Enter the extracted folder

4) Right-Click on the file named autoruns.exe then choose Run as Administrator

5) Now follow the instructions in this screenshot:

post-1272-0-92919500-1441309299_thumb.png

Edited by Matrix Leader

I just tried using Autoruns and  changing the 2 startup entries before reinstalling Nod32. It didn't help. Next I will try the following when I get some more time: (it takes some time because of all the crashes before I can actually get the dang laptop booted and me logged in)

1, disable real-time protection

2, disable protocol filtering

3, rename C:\Windows\System32\drivers\eamonm.sys in safe mode

4, rename C:\Windows\System32\drivers\ehdrv.sys in safe mode

Okay... I couldn't take it anymore so I reinstalled Windows 10 doing a fresh install (formatted HD). I am glad I did as the laptop boots up a lot quicker and the Nod32 issue seems to have disappeared. I will know more in a few days as I put back on all the software, etc. I use. So from this I am assuming that Nod32 was conflicting with something that was either a hold over from my Windows 7 install or installed during the upgrade of Windows 10. To hopefully prevent any issues before the Windows 10 install I did uninstall a lot of old software and features that came with the Laptop and Windows 7. Most of it was bloat ware and features I never really used (from Asus).

Okay... I couldn't take it anymore so I reinstalled Windows 10 doing a fresh install (formatted HD). I am glad I did as the laptop boots up a lot quicker and the Nod32 issue seems to have disappeared. I will know more in a few days as I put back on all the software, etc. I use. So from this I am assuming that Nod32 was conflicting with something that was either a hold over from my Windows 7 install or installed during the upgrade of Windows 10. To hopefully prevent any issues before the Windows 10 install I did uninstall a lot of old software and features that came with the Laptop and Windows 7. Most of it was bloat ware and features I never really used (from Asus).

good job, you should never do an OS upgrade bro unless you want problems. Clean install FTW! like a fresh new PC :D

How to disable telemetry, keylogging, speech recognition, and other privacy breaching settings

1) Download O&O ShutUp10 which is a free tool

2) Upon the first run, it will recommend you to create a system restore point, that is up to you.

3) Set the options as per the illustration below, these are my recommended settings but feel free to click on any of the options to display a popup/caption of that that particular option does.

post-1272-0-01124400-1442170809_thumb.png

post-1272-0-76678000-1442170818_thumb.png

post-1272-0-89506000-1442170832_thumb.png

4) After you have selected all the options that you want to disable, simply exit the app; it will recommend you to restart which you should do immediately.

5) After you restart, run the tool again you will notice that one of the Telemetry options is back to the OFF mode so you need to again enable it and visually scan for any other options that didn't stick.

6) Exit the app again and reboot once more. This time all the settings should remain the way you set them.

This is one of the best tools I have used in a long time and is a gift from heavens to Windows 10 users, without this tool, I wouldn't even dare to go online or use Windows 10 as you can see your every step, keystroke, and even speech is recorded and sent to Micro$h4ft. Thanks to this tool, it has changed my stance of Windows 10 from a piece of garbage OS to a tamable and usable OS.

While many other tools on the web exist that may do the same thing, they are often bundled with malware, Trojans, etc. This is the only tool that I found so far which actually works and is trusted coming from a great company such as O&O, a Microsoft Partner clear.png LOL

Update:

Disable Driver Updates through Windows Updates:

Unfortunately it seems like clicking on "Disable automatic driver updates through Windows Update" doesn't work and no registry tweak or group policy setting is going to disable that.

To properly disable driver updates through Windows updates, do this:

Start > Settings > Devices > Printers and Scanners > Turn off Download Over Metered Connections

Start > Settings > Devices > Connected Devices > Turn off Download Over Metered Connections

Start > Settings > Network & Internet > Advanced Options > Set as metered connection

Edited by Matrix Leader

Yeah I wanted to see how the upgrade went first. I wanted to save some time but in the end I didn't ;-)

I usually worry about tools like you mention above for the reasons you mention (they are just more spyware).

Yeah I wanted to see how the upgrade went first. I wanted to save some time but in the end I didn't ;-)

I usually worry about tools like you mention above for the reasons you mention (they are just more spyware).

indeed they are, not this one though, this is the only free/clean tool I've tested. The rest are all spyware.

• 2 months later...

good job, you should never do an OS upgrade bro unless you want problems. Clean install FTW! like a fresh new PC :D

Well I had a similar experience with my new notebook msi gs40. From windows 10 home, I upgraded to windows 10 pro, installed eset smart security and had my first BSOD ever with windows 10. reinstalled everything from recovery partition, but this time installed eset without even upgrading to windows 10 pro, yet another BSOD. Decided to give it a clean install, downloaded drivers from internet formatted, installed windows 10 pro, then eset -> BSOD. Tried to see if anyone had this problem over internet but not much came out. my previous notebook was also an msi, the gs30 which i had to change due to some hardware failure, but never had any problems with eset on it. well, i'm tired of doing clean installs with variations of drivers, so i actually gave up. I'm going to continue with windows defender for a while. Maybe it's something related to skylake processors. I just don't know.

• Administrators

Well I had a similar experience with my new notebook msi gs40. From windows 10 home, I upgraded to windows 10 pro, installed eset smart security and had my first BSOD ever with windows 10. reinstalled everything from recovery partition, but this time installed eset without even upgrading to windows 10 pro, yet another BSOD. Decided to give it a clean install, downloaded drivers from internet formatted, installed windows 10 pro, then eset -> BSOD. Tried to see if anyone had this problem over internet but not much came out. my previous notebook was also an msi, the gs30 which i had to change due to some hardware failure, but never had any problems with eset on it. well, i'm tired of doing clean installs with variations of drivers, so i actually gave up. I'm going to continue with windows defender for a while. Maybe it's something related to skylake processors. I just don't know.

Please configure Windows to generate complete memory dumps as per the instructions at hxxp://support.eset.com/kb380, restart the computer and then reproduce the BSOD. Next compress the dump, upload it to a safe location and pm me the download link.