ESET still detectink Ask! toolbar

novice

Hello novice

Eset detect the toolbar, because is it bundled with other software (most often), and detect it as PUA. With other words, Eset is just saying, "Hey do you know that there is a toolbar in your download". And thereby giving you a choice, you can always accept the download anyway.

Regards, Janus

Hi Janus,

I understand what are you saying, however , none of the other AV's from virustotal.com would detect this as PUA (Detection Ratio 1/46), so maybe this should be reviewed by ESET  as unnecessary detection.   

How many users actively search for Ask! toolbar because they know it's cool software and want to have it on their own computer?

I think most of people searching internet for Ask toolbar want to find a way to get rid of it.

These days PUA Detection is very important and ESET is doing well this part.
Ask toolbar? I agree with Veremo.

How many users actively search for Ask! toolbar because they know it's cool software and want to have it on their own computer?

I think most of people searching internet for Ask toolbar want to find a way to get rid of it.

Hi,

While I agree with you that Ask! toolbar is not a desirable item, most of the time Ask! toolbar is bundled together with a free item and removing it will make the item nonfunctional , or there is an option to not install it from the beginning; once you agree wit installation , is no longer a P"Unwanted"A .

Anyway ESET is the only one which is still detecting Ask! toolbar , so I doubt that everyone else is wrong but ESET.

• Administrators

It's correct to detect the mentioned toolbar as PUA. Most likely other vendors simply don't focus on PUA as detection of these applications requires a lot of work in terms of research or communication with vendors.

Anyway ESET is the only one which is still detecting Ask! toolbar , so I doubt that everyone else is wrong but ESET.

I guess the other vendors lag behind a little in adding detection for it :)

What you can do is to take contact with the company/s that bundles ASK (or something similar) with their software to stop doing that, and the software/s shall no longer be detected.

Edited by SweX

It's correct to detect the mentioned toolbar as PUA. Most likely other vendors simply don't focus on PUA as detection of these applications requires a lot of work in terms of research or communication with vendors.

Hi Marcos,

you  may want to read this:

hxxp://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=128290

"... but as far as I know, we've [ MBAM ] never detected Ask. Ask is pretty much on par with Google and MSN/MS Bing as far as toolbars go. They always have an opt-out option in software installers and don't really do much other than show you search results from their search engine and gather statistical data (which all search engines do anyway, even if not using their toolbar as that's how they rank results and gauge the popularity of links/websites and handle their 'targeted' adverts)."

Is not like " other vendors simply don't focus on PUA " but rather they do not want to have an unnecessary detection; I simply cannot understand why, if nobody else on AV industry is detecting Ask! as PUA , ESET would continue to do it!  

That's what makes ESET special! Why would you want them to just be average like all the other antiviruses?? You can always disable PUA if you don't want the detections. ESET should continue to detect all PUA!

That's what makes ESET special! Why would you want them to just be average like all the other antiviruses?? You can always disable PUA if you don't want the detections. ESET should continue to detect all PUA!

A detection rate of 1 from 45 makes ESET rather odd than special!

Edited by novice

If this is a false positive issue, a detection rate of 1 from 45 makes ESET rather odd than special

but this is a PUA issue. Everyone else is wrong but ESET?

This is not wrong or right thing. ESET has a just different policy of PUA

You should know many people install sponsor apps carelessly (most of them is crapware)

and some people have no idea what they install their PC. That is really crucial point.

Ask Toolbar has a long history of controversy . From my viewpoint Ask toolbar is a crapware.

Hijacks your default search engine and redirects you to a page and show more paid links.

Maybe I'm 1 from 45 ? :)

While I agree with you that Ask! toolbar is not a desirable item, most of the time Ask! toolbar is bundled together with a free item and removing it will make the item nonfunctional , or there is an option to not install it from the beginning; once you agree wit installation , is no longer a P"Unwanted"A .

I always uninstall Ask toolbar whenever I see it on customer computers and it never stops bundled software from working. Ask toolbar is a one of the many unwanted programs I come across often and I am glad that Eset is detecting it.

Guest novice

I always uninstall Ask toolbar whenever I see it on customer computers and it never stops bundled software from working. Ask toolbar is a one of the many unwanted programs I come across often and I am glad that Eset is detecting it.

That's not true!!!

By removing Ask! toolbar from Antivir Free you will disable Web protection.

hxxp://www.avira.com/en/support-for-home-knowledgebase-detail/kbid/1111

"First, please note that by uninstalling this component, Web Protection will be no longer available for Avira Free Antivirus. However, if you still want to remove the Avira Toolbar, please follow these steps"

ESET detects Ask! toolbar bundled with Avira Free installer package and such bundles are common practice for freeware to keep software free. It is not the same as Avira toolbar, which is part of Avira antivirus and, as stated in their KB, part of web protection.

Guest guest

God, please just lock the thread. We have already explained over and over, why this, why that, the detection will stay for obvious reasons period!

We have already explained....

We who???

Even though has been explained over and over , this does not mean it is right ( yeah, ESET is the only AV in the world  doing it right!)

• Administrators

There are many potentially unwanted or unsafe applications (besides actual malware) where ESET is the only vendor to detect them. If a file is detected just by one vendor, it doesn't make it a false positive automatically. Likewise, if a file is detected by more than 40 vendors at VirusTotal, it doesn't make it functional malware. The results only rise or lower the level of suspiciousness. Most toolbars meet the criteria of PUA and hence they are detected.

Having said that, we'll draw this topic to a close.