Create a group and block all connection within it

Hello Eset community :)

Im guessing you allready heard about Microsoft collecting data in Windows 10 and even in Windows 7/8/8.1 and would like to block some addresses. Its 106 addresses I want to block from in and outbound traffic. I want to have my settings in firewall organized so creating a group for all those 106 addresses would be great.

What I need help with is to create a group and add the addresses I have to be within that group. How do I achieve that?

Edited by Seth

• Administrators

Generally if you want to block communication with concrete IP addresses, create a rule with the desired IP addresses listed on the Remote tab.

Generally if you want to block communication with concrete IP addresses, create a rule with the desired IP addresses listed on the Remote tab.

Thanks for the reply. I know how to do that, but I only have URL addresses and the Remote tab requires IP address. Since its 106 URL addresses I wanted to have them all in one folder/group. Would be nice to have all the rules organized in the firewall. Is it even possible to create groups in firewall and send other individual created rules afterwards to desired group? If not it would be a great feature to have.

Edited by Seth

• Administrators

You can block http(s) communication by url in the Web access setup -> URL address management. Firewall inspects packets at lower OSI layers so only information about the IP address is known to the firewall.

Does it do the same job as firewall would do? The URL:s are from Microsoft and used to collect data from the user. Im not trying to block those URL:s from web browsing but from blocking any data leaking to those URL:s that happens in the background.

Edited by Seth

I think that is true. One another thing. Is there any way to block all traffic except what is necessary for access to the Internet?

• 3 weeks later...

I think that is true. One another thing. Is there any way to block all traffic except what is necessary for access to the Internet?

Anyone know how to do this?

• ESET Moderators

The term "access to the Internet" is very vague - it is not only the content of webpages you load in your browser, there is some communication on the background of your programs which transmit some data needed to run correctly, there is a communication by the operating system itself, etc.

I would suggest to enable Interactive mode of the firewall and create rules gradually as the prompts pop up.