Can't Install Smart Security on Win XP

I have Win XP and I have had Eset Smart Security 2013 for 2 years with no problems.  I bought Smart Security 2015 in a retail store.  I only have a dial up modem.  I did the download after inserting the CD in my computer.  The first time it took about 5 3/4 hours to download.  Then as it began installation, it failed.  It only said "Installation error."  It gave no error code.

I have tried downloading 2 more times (remember, only dial up modem, 4 hours to 5 hours each time!).  Installation always fails with same message.

My Big Question:  I have heard a "rumour" that Windows XP must have that patch (or whatever word you want to use) that is Number 3, that Smart Security cannot be installed on XP unless that very final update from Microsoft is there.  Is this true?

The Smart Security box and info on the CD disc says nothing about this, only that it can be installed on Win XP.

Help, I am really frustrated.  Many hours spent on this to no avail.  Thanks to anyone for looking into this for me.

JK being Sun Baked In Arizona

Hello Marcos and a Big Thank You,

No, I do not have that Service Pack 3 installed.  It is around 310 Megs in size and remember I only have a dial up modem; I can't download it.

My XP version is 32 bit Home Professional, it is supposed to use that final service pak 3.  My final update to XP from Microsoft was Service Pak 2.

From what I recall, the XP version that was 64 bit only needed a much smaller Service Pak that I could download, but obviously, it wasn't the right one for my system, (in fact I did download it without realizing that I got the wrong service pak).

So, now I feel that I am in quite a jam......... minus the delicious taste of boysenberries.

JK

Like Marcos said, you must have WIn XP SP3 installed.

Not sure how those CDs works, but I assume it downloaded the latest version/build automatically which was not the version that was included on the CD, or if it used the "live installer", never used one of those CDs so I am not sure.

Don't know if you're in a town or far out in the Arizona bush with the rattlers.  ;)  But if you know someone that has a faster internet connection close by neighbour/friend, maybe you could use their connection to download the latest ESS offline installer from eset.com and put it on a USB stick and bring it home. Then you can at least install ESS while in offline mode i.e when you're not connected to the internet, that should cut off a bit of the time as you would only need to update the VSD & modules once you connect the PC to the internet, even if it may still take a while.

But first make sure your computer has Win XP SP3 installed, if you don't, then you need to install SP3 first before trying to install ESET again, otherwise the ESS install will fail. Though you may have SP3 installed already and the error could be caused by something else, but that we don't know yet, so you need to check if you got SP3 or not for us.

There is no particular XP patch that MS have release that you need to make the install procedure finish that I know of.

Hi SweX,

No I surely do not have Service Pak 3 installed.  I did have to download the "live installer" and then use that to kickstart things.  It downloaded what I believe is the latest version of Smart Security.  The download goes OK, though long in time, but the installation always fails.

The "live installer" is rather small actually.  I still have it on my computer.  I think it was either .6 MB or 1.6 MB....... No problem.

The Service Pak 3 from Microsoft was actually primarily about IE 8 browser as I recall.  The thing is I never use IE,  I use a Firefox browser, never a Microsoft browser.

JK

Edited by Jgn749Cov46&

Hello Marcos and a Big Thank You,

No, I do not have that Service Pack 3 installed.  It is around 310 Megs in size and remember I only have a dial up modem; I can't download it.

My XP version is 32 bit Home Professional, it is supposed to use that final service pak 3.  My final update to XP from Microsoft was Service Pak 2.

From what I recall, the XP version that was 64 bit only needed a much smaller Service Pak that I could download, but obviously, it wasn't the right one for my system, (in fact I did download it without realizing that I got the wrong service pak).

So, now I feel that I am in quite a jam......... minus the delicious taste of boysenberries.

JK

Oh what a bummer. No fast connection nearby ?

The 64-bit package wouldn't have worked out on your 32-bit OS.

And if I remember correclty ESET V8 doesn't work on XP 64-bit, only 32-bit. I reckon we had a thread about that before.

If there is no easy way for you to get SP3 any time soon. You could actually download and use the last ESET version that is compatible with XP SP2 if you want ? If you can live without a few new features that are included in later versions. At least, it should install fine and the VSDs should get updated normally.

It should work fine as your license is not tied to a specific version/year, you can use any version you like from V3 and later.

Maybe Marcos could say which ESS version or build that was the last one to include SP2 compatibility ? I assume it was v6 or v7.

Thank you SweX for the info.

I did get updates to SS from the original Version 6 that I bought to Version 7 point something or other.  That worked fine, version 8 + whatever just won't take.

Going back to Version 7 wouldn't be so bad, if I had to.  Do you happen to know....... is there an archive of some type at Eset that one could download for instance just Version 7?  Thanks much for your help.

JK Frying in Arizona Furnace

Hi SweX,

No I surely do not have Service Pak 3 installed.  I did have to download the "live installer" and then use that to kickstart things.  It downloaded what I believe is the latest version of Smart Security.  The download goes OK, though long in time, but the installation always fails.

The "live installer" is rather small actually.  I still have it on my computer.  I think it was either .6 MB or 1.6 MB....... No problem.

The Service Pak 3 from Microsoft was actually primarily about IE 8 browser as I recall.  The thing is I never use IE,  I use a Firefox browser, never a Microsoft browser.

JK

Hello JK,

No SP3 also includes many patches that was released earlier on, but many patches were released after SP3 was released so even if you had installed SP3 it would still miss many, but that doesn't really matter as there are unpatched holes today in XP since MS no longer support it. But SP3 would surely patch up quite a bit, and then a few hundred more downloaded via MS update to get XP "fully patched", but still vulnerable due to the holes for were no patch has been released after the EOL date.

Yes the "live installer" may be tiny, but it is not the actual program, it's only used to download the actual program which is 70-80mb in size.

It would have been convenient if the "live installer" could sense that you use SP2, then it wouldn't even need to start downloading the latest version as it won't install anyway as you experienced.

Thank you SweX for the info.

I did get updates to SS from the original Version 6 that I bought to Version 7 point something or other.  That worked fine, version 8 + whatever just won't take.

Going back to Version 7 wouldn't be so bad, if I had to.  Do you happen to know....... is there an archive of some type at Eset that one could download for instance just Version 7?  Thanks much for your help.

JK Frying in Arizona Furnace

Hello, yes sure that will work.

If you know for sure that V7 worked fine with XP SP2 then you can go with it.

In the following KB article you will find download links for all earlier still supported* versions.

Make sure you download ESS V7 for 32-bit OS. hxxp://support.eset.com/kb2885/

During install make sure you use your newly purchased license (2015) so you don't try to activate using old license credentials.

Good luck, I hope it goes well.

*Still supported = with VSD updates.

Edited by SweX

Hello All,

Well, I downloaded the 7x version, 32 bit, as mentioned above by SweX.  It went in fine with no problem at all, then promptly updated its VSD.  It has been working great.  Thank you so much Swex.  I may try still to get to a library somewhere and use a high speed system to download the Service Pak 3 for XP and try once again to install SS 8 (or 2015 if you will), but at least I know that I can always go back to the 7 if things still don't work.

Funny thing is that when I installed the 7 again, it said that there was a prior installation still in progress, even though I had used the Wizard to remove the 8 version, and had gone to a command prompt to delete what was left in by the Wizard.  The 7 version "rolled" it back and got it all out, then did its own thing successfully.

TOM FACE:  No, I have not looked into satellite internet.  I am not into WiFi or any type of "radio beam" if you will.  Just the old fashioned land lines and that's it.  Thank you for the thought though, interesting.

JK still getting cooked in Arizona boondocks........ Hah, hah.....  SS updated while I was typing this!

Edited by Jgn749Cov46&