Unable to uninstall Eset Smart Security from Windows 10

Hello,

I tried to uninstall Eset Smart Security version 9.0.141.0 from my Windows 10 64 bit computer.

I get this message, see image.

What can I do next to fix this issue? I have tried to Repair - same message.

I have tried to uninstall a second time - same message.

So I deciced to ask here first. Thank you.

Please excuse my English. I am Dutch ;)

post-8581-0-33299300-1440855211_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jurre

If I have to use an uninstaller I would use hxxp://support.eset.com/kb2289/#Windows10

But I would like to have confirmation that it will actually work and that there is no other way.

Since this is a beta product and it is about Windows 10.

Besides that I submitted a support request to Customer Care. No answer yet.

For me, the only way to remove the ESS beta or the standalone EAV beta, was to use the Eset uninstaller tool listed above. I had then no problems with removing the AV, but sometimes I lost connectivity with the removal of the ESS.

Therefore I would recommend either a system restore or restoring a backup image before installing these products (the re-installation of the network adapter also worked when uninstalling ESS).

I would not blame Eset though as I have had uninstall problems on WIN 10 with nearly all the other AV's I have tried (more than 5).

Download ESET AV Removal Tool - hxxp://support.eset.com/kb146/

Boot into Safe Mode and run the downloaded executable

That one doesn't work.

I was expecting some support from Eset staff, either here or by answering the support request that I submitted to Customer Care. But nothing.....

Very disappointing.

• Most Valued Members

i had no problems to use the removal tool in safe mode.

try it again. and after starting the pc to safe mode, go to the folder where you saved the file and right-click it and run it as administrator.

then follow the instructions.

Maybe the "That one doesn't work"  wasn't specific enough. The only thing that tool detected was Malwarebytes. Nothing from Eset.

• Administrators

If the Uninstall tool doesn't detect any ESET product, it's very unlikely that egui.exe or ekrn.exe would be running after rebooting the system to normal mode. After renaming C:\Windows\System32\drivers\ehdrv.sys in safe mode, there should be no problem deleting ekrn.

• Most Valued Members

Hi Jurre,

I suggest you try the ESET Uninstaller tool instead of the general AV Removal tool.

If I have to use an uninstaller I would use hxxp://support.eset.com/kb2289/#Windows10
But I would like to have confirmation that it will actually work and that there is no other way.
Since this is a beta product and it is about Windows 10.
Besides that I submitted a support request to Customer Care. No answer yet.

When you asked about the uninstaller tool, you did find the right one - please follow the KB Instructions on how to uninstall ESS from Windows 10 (with the right tool and specified instructions for Windows 10): hxxp://support.eset.com/kb2289/#Windows10

Edited by planet

• Administrators

AV Remover is intended for removing competitive AVs, not ESET. To remove ESET when standard uninstallation doesn't work, use the ESET Uninstall tool.

On Windows 10, you'll need to manually disable or remove Epfw Lightweight filter in your LAN properties to restore network connectivity until an updated version of the tool is ready.

AV Remover is intended for removing competitive AVs, not ESET. To remove ESET when standard uninstallation doesn't work, use the ESET Uninstall tool.

On Windows 10, you'll need to manually disable or remove Epfw Lightweight filter in your LAN properties to restore network connectivity until an updated version of the tool is ready.

I did that and that worked, even though it doesn't work exactly as described. But I managed to figure  it out.

Thank you.