ELA portal is not working

Go to solution Solved by MichalJ,

Hi

I've contacted ESET support in the UK but thought I'd post here too.

When I go into Unit Management at ela.eset.com to deactivate units there is a tickbox at the top of the screen, however there is no tickbox against any of the units. That means I can’t deactivate any units.

I have tried Firefox and IE.

Is it just me?

Many thanks

Jim

PS All units were activated via the ERA using an activation task. Bizarrely, there doesn't seem to be a deactivation task (and I don't want to uninstall).

Edited by jimwillsher

Hi

If you have logged into the ELA as a security admin then you will only be able to deactvite licences activated using that account, to deactivate 'any' client under a licence then you need to log in to the ELA using the licnece key (top left box) and then you will be able to do what you need to do.

Jon

Thanks Jon. That seems a bit rubbish TBH. I have four accounts, totalling 184 licenses, and yet I must log out and back in with a different account each time I want to deactivate a unit, even though there's a single login facility???? What the heck is the point of having a security admin account facility if it's a chocolate fireguard?

If ERA had a "deactivate" task that complemented the "activate" task that was used for 170+ machines it would make sense, as deactivation would be done via the same place that activation was done. But instead, you're telling me that I need to continually log out and login to ELA each time I need to work with a different license?

When you're the one and only administration for four licenses, that is NOT a security feature, it's a PITA :-)

Jim

Edited by jimwillsher

Here's hoping! It does seem a very strange workflow:

ERA - allows multiple licenses to be stored and managed. I have four, for four customers.

ELA - allows a single login where multiple licenses can be stored and managed. I have four, for four customers.

ERA - allow clients to be deployed/installed and automatically activated, for any one of my four licenses.

ERA - no way to deactivate a license, other than to uninstall the client.

ELA - using the lovely single login facility, I can view all four licenses but do diddly squat with them, apparently for "security reasons". Even though they were all activated from the same ERA.

What's missing here is:

ERA - provide a deactivation task

or

ELA - allow some form of account linking, so that ELA knows that it was me (yes me, I'm the only admin for these licenses) who activated them, and therefore should have the ability to deactivate them.

All a bit eye-opening I'm afraid.......and gob-smacking. I've generally been a defender of ERA 6 but this has left me a bit disheartened.

Jim

• Administrators

If you are a security admin of each of those 4 licenses, you should be able to add them in "License management" in ERA after entering your security admin credentials and subsequently use the licenses for activation. Units activated by you will have a check-box in ELA and you will be able to deactivate them. This is a security mechanism to prevent security admins to deactivate licenses activated by someone else.

• ESET Staff
  • Solution

Hi Jim,

Deactivation task is coming for ESET Remote Administrator 6.2 (so really soon).

Concerning the second issue, there is a workaround / it was designed to work little bit different (as Marek stated above) => If you would have entered the license first to security admin account, and then to ESET Remote Administrator, you would not face the issue. As now, even though you have activated the license from ERA, it was activated using "license key", means that for security admin who is by design an entity with lower level of rights it is not possible to perform deactivation. It would be the same, as if you would have activated the clients locally, by shipping the license key instead of the account credentials.

For now, I would recommend that you:

1. Remove the licenses currently entered in ERA
  2. Enter the licenses again, by means of entering the security admin account
  3. Reactivate your seats again, using the same licenses, via a software activation task

To deactivate (under current conditions), you unfortunately need to enter ELA as "license owner", meaning you need to log in using your license key & ELA password. Then you will be able to deactivate all units, however only with "per license granularity".

For the future versions of ELA, we are preparing a change/improvement, so you will be able to grant "the same rights as in the case of owner" to the security admin account.

• ESET Moderators

Hi jimwillsher,

Let me clarify this issue:

There are two different entities in ELA portal - license owner and security admin.

License owner has access to the license key and can perform all actions with the license. When you activate the product by directly entering the license key (either to ERA or to Endpoint), you are activating the product as the license owner.

In case you log in with your security admin account and perform the activation by choosing one of the licenses in this account, the product is activated by the security admin.

As the license owner has higher privileges than the security admin (security admin is only delegated by the license owner), the license owner can deactivate all the licenses, but the security admin can only deactivate the licenses that were activated used the very same security admin account (i.e. not by entering the license key, which equals activating as license owner).

As Michal stated above, there will be some changes to the permissions of a security admin account, so that you can manage your licenses more easily.

Regards,

T.

Thank you thank you thank you :-) Thank you for the detailed replies.

Special thanks to MichalJ for this nugget:

For now, I would recommend that you:

1. Remove the licenses currently entered in ERA
  2. Enter the licenses again, by means of entering the security admin account
  3. Reactivate your seats again, using the same licenses, via a software activation task

That prompted me to look at ERA licenses screen again, and I now see that I can add an ELA username and password in there. I hadn't seen that before, I had just added the license keys instead. So I have now removed the "manual" licenses, then added my licenses from ELA, and reactivated all the clients.

And it works perfectly :-)

Thank you!

Jim

PS Your UK support staff seem unaware of this solution as they didn't suggest it when I contacted them earler today. Yet it's such a straightforward solution, and it works well.