Error communicating with kernel on Windows 10

I have been experiencing issues with ESET Smart Security 8.0.x. A popup appears stating: "Error communicating with kernel", Windows attempts to restart the UI of ESET but other than the top bar the ESET window that appears is blank.

I have gone from upgrade from Windows 7, removed ESS, reinstalled. Failing that tried a clean install of Windows 10 and ESS; it has lasted a few days before throwing this error but has now returned. I have previously had to remove ESS manually because the installer reports insufficient privileges to modify the registry keys for the application even with Admin rights. I was able to recover the service using "sc start ekrn" within CMD although the start option never appeared in the services window.

Please consider the above a bug report. It appears that ESS is unstable on a clean Windows 10 Pro (activated). Can someone advise if you (ESET) are aware of the issue and if/how I can provide an error log from the application itself.

Hi, yes, that is the current version I installed with and is running. This was the only version I have been able to restart the ekrn service with. It's much better but still stops for an unknown reason.

• Administrators

So you're saying that you're able to reproduce this issue whenever you uninstall ESET and install ESS 8.0.319 from scratch? Please collect logs using ESET Log Collector and drop me a pm with the outputted archive attached.

I have the same exact problem since I upgraded to Windows 10. I tried uninstalling ESET Smart Security, and it won't even let me uninstall. It says that I don't have permission to delete the registry key ekrn.exe. What might the problem be?

I have the same exact problem since I upgraded to Windows 10. I tried uninstalling ESET Smart Security, and it won't even let me uninstall. It says that I don't have permission to delete the registry key ekrn.exe. What might the problem be?

I managed to remove it after a few attempts by following these instructions. If it doesn't work the first time, restart and try again.

(How do I manually uninstall my Windows ESET product?) hxxp://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2289

I am having the same problem. Updated from Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit a few days ago, ESET Antivirus 8 was working fine. Today I received the error communicating with kernel and I cannot do a repair, uninstall or re-install. I keep getting access denied errors even though my user is a local admin.

• 2 weeks later...

I also had the same challenge on windows 10, all I needed to do was to restart the ESET services function from the services running in windows 10

To do this:

click on the start windows button, Type services.msc and press enter

on the right side, you will notice a number of services running, scroll to search for the ESET service, once you spot the ESET service, right click on it and  press start and the service should return to normalcy.

This should solve your problem.

best of luck 

Tunde

Ekrn must start automatically with Windows. If not, starting it manually will not fix the issue permanently.

In my case they are set to start with Windows automatically but stall while 'Starting' and ultimately fail, after the service has failed to recover itself manually starting it afterward seems to start ekrn without a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, did anyone find a resolution to this error or should we be holding out for 9? I've just upgraded a PC to 10 and got the exact same error as described above after I installed ESET 8 antivirus (latest build). 

Found a fix: Open services with admin privilege and set the Eset Service startup type to automatic (delayed start) rather than just automatic. Rebooted multiple times and can confirm this resolved it; though just to note PC is still a lot slower shutting down then it was prior to Eset install.

• 1 year later...

"error communicating with kernel" message. I have no idea what it means or how to fix it. I am running version 8.0.319.0 . Does it mean that my Anti-Virsu software is ineffective? What do I do?

Found a fix: Open services with admin privilege and set the Eset Service startup type to automatic (delayed start) rather than just automatic. Rebooted multiple times and can confirm this resolved it; though just to note PC is still a lot slower shutting down then it was prior to Eset install.

Where do I find "Services with Admin Privilege" on the ESet website?