Some tested EES 9 on build 10525

• Administrators

Windows 10 build 10525 is not supported and most likely will never be as Microsoft hasn't provided vendors with symbols for this particular build (yet).

I've tested it, results were not nice.

I've updated to 10525 with ESS9 installed, it ended with no internet access for system (WU, Store, Music, etc.), strangle third party apps like browsers were OK. After that I've tried uninstall ESS and it failed (most probably during uninstalling network driver). After that fail and reboot, system regained access to network, but (not surprisingly) HISP and few others services weren't functional so I've force-uninstalled ESS anyway. Then I've installed it once again just for experiment and (again, no surprise) ESS couldn't be activated after clean install.

TL;DR: Don't bother installing ESS9 on 10525 and I strongly recommend uninstalling it before updating to 10525,

• ESET Insiders

I guess Eset uses a different model than 2 other competitive products I use/test. Through all the previous W10 updates upto release there were no major issues, and from release to 10525 I have no issues with current protection provider, it just continued to work as it did before the update. With these type of releases looking to become the norm (MS updating/patching as/when/frequent) the way Eset works currently seems to cause a lot of issues for customers and workload for your devs. 

• Most Valued Members

I guess Eset uses a different model than 2 other competitive products I use/test. Through all the previous W10 updates upto release there were no major issues, and from release to 10525 I have no issues with current protection provider, it just continued to work as it did before the update. With these type of releases looking to become the norm (MS updating/patching as/when/frequent) the way Eset works currently seems to cause a lot of issues for customers and workload for your devs. 

It's a risk that you have to take when installing unfinished versions. 

• ESET Insiders

Temporary solution - in advanced settings disable SSL/TLS filtering and ESS 9.0.117 will start working for you, but without full functionality, we need to wait to next update which will resolve issues with that. It looks like Win 10 will be one big hell for external developers due to instant changes in internal APIs (HIPS, FW, SSL/TLS and so on so on).

• Administrators

ESS 8 & 10525

for me HIPS stopped working and Firefox can't connect anymore..

time to switch to another antivirus...

Because of what? Because you are using a beta and because Microsoft doesn't provide symbols to vendors on time to make their products compatible with new builds? ;) If you opt for fast ring updates then you must count on with certain issues; it's similar to enabling pre-release updates in ESET. With slow ring updates compatibility should be ensured.

• ESET Insiders

I'm very disappointed that nod 32 AV does not seem to be able to catch up with MS new product update policy, I'm also testing another AV: no hicups on W10 "final"

• Most Valued Members

I'm very disappointed that nod 32 AV does not seem to be able to catch up with MS new product update policy, I'm also testing another AV: no hicups on W10 "final"

The whole point of these releases from Microsoft though is for developers. It's like Chrome - they have stable, beta and developer - developer version being very unstable and certainly not reliable.

It's the same with updates in the fast ring with Windows 10 - It's for the pros. If you're using this product and expecting everything to work then the fast ring is more than likely not for you. Some products may still work, but doesn't mean they'd work in the next update. It may also have issues under the hood that you won't notice but could potentially put you at risk.

Basically if you want stability stick with the public versions 

• Administrators

That's because other products don't integrate as deeply as ESET does. Otherwise those vendors would need symbols for that build to be provided by Microsoft which hasn't happened so far. So it makes absolutely no sense to blame ESET for something that is in the hands of another vendor / company.

• ESET Insiders

The whole point of these releases from Microsoft though is for developers. It's like Chrome - they have stable, beta and developer - developer version being very unstable and certainly not reliable.

It's the same with updates in the fast ring with Windows 10 - It's for the pros. If you're using this product and expecting everything to work then the fast ring is more than likely not for you. Some products may still work, but doesn't mean they'd work in the next update. It may also have issues under the hood that you won't notice but could potentially put you at risk.

Basically if you want stability stick with the public versions 

I'm talking about W10 market rls from the  29 th july, no insider build (not trolling)

• Administrators

I'm talking about W10 market rls from the  29 th july, no insider build (not trolling)

We are talking about fast ring updates which are a sort of pre-release updates, ie. not everything may work properly with them. Especially if Microsoft doesn't provide vendors with symbols to make their products compatible with these builds.

So far we are provided with symbols only for builds available on slow ring which enables us to make our products compatible with them. In the future, we plan to make HIPS running on unsupported systems in a limited mode instead of not loading it at all.

• Most Valued Members

Perhaps MS will release the information necessary for Eset to use before they release the build to the general public. Then again maybe not that's for MS to decide not Eset as Marcos said.

I really don't think it can be classified a bug. To me a bug is a problem specifically related to Eset's code. MS simply hasn't released information necessary to be included in the code for compatibility purposes.

It's impossible to do something that requires a specialized tool if you don't have the tool.

this kind of answer misses the point that MS will force 10525 over 10240 very shortly, the bug will be there

What exactly is the nature of your complaint? The next major Win 10 update is scheduled for around November. Therefore MS distributing build 10525 over 10240 is out of the question.

If you are interested in finding bugs on your testing machines, please share and be specific about how those bugs are manifesting themselves and what versions you're running. That is the whole idea of pre-release software: You test for malfunctions that you can fix or report, before shipping final versions.

If you're looking for stability, I can recommend the latest official versions, 10240 + ESET v8, which are rock solid on my systems.

Best,

Ke

I was using ESS 9 on Build 10240 with no issues and wasn't surprised upon upgrading to 10532 that the firewall functionally broke but such is to be expected.
I can report though that luckily for me I was able to uninstall the program with no issues and I checked my network adapter and the Epfw NDIS LightWeight Filter was removed automatically as well thus restoring my internet connection.