NO internet after upgrade to Windows 10.

I have a customer who cannot get online after upgrading to Windows 10. ESET was at the most recent build on his Prev Windows 8 before the upgrade. I did a full uninstall including removal of all remnants and confirmed that the ESET FILTERING driver in the NIC properties was not present. Then  after install same issue.(IPV4 Connectivity = NOT Connected)  If I uncheck Epfw NDIS lightweight Filter from the NIC then the internet comes back immediately. Please advise on further troubleshooting.

Edited by tmuster2k

Hi,

I gave a solution to this problem in another post viewable at .......

https://forum.eset.com/topic/5526-bsod-after-upgrading-windows-81-to-windows-10/

Look for my reply there and you will get the answer ;)

Before doing the fresh install, I checked the properties of the NIC and confirmed that the ESET filtering driver was not present so I guess my issue does not pertain to your troubleshoot that worked. I am still at a loss as to how to get ESET FW fully functional and user still able to access internet.

• Most Valued Members

Can you check it is version 8.0.319 that you are using to install, as any previous builds will have this problem.

Can you check it is version 8.0.319 that you are using to install, as any previous builds will have this problem.

Yes. Latest build. As stated in my original post, Customer ensured that he had latest build before doing Win10 Upgrade.I confirmed this when I remoted in.

Edited by tmuster2k

• Most Valued Members

If I uncheck Epfw NDIS lightweight Filter from the NIC then the internet comes back immediately. Please advise on further troubleshooting.

This sounds like the same issue myself and lionkng123 had in this topic: https://forum.eset.com/topic/5549-issues-with-eset-smart-security-8x-in-win-10/

I have mentioned some steps there on what to do after installation that worked for us, see if it helps you as well.  :)

I faced both the exact same issues and did this as a workaround - after installation of Smart Security:

• Go into the properties for the Network Adapter you use for the Internet, uncheck ESET's one and apply settings. This will allow the computer to connect to the Network/Internet again for now.
  • Activate the product and let Smart Security fully update.
  • Go back to the Network Adapter properties and turn back on ESET's one.
  • Restart (not shut down) Windows 10.
This should resolve both the firewall service and Internet issue.

Seems that the ESET entry in the Network Adapter properties after installation is the cause for the Network/Internet not working, and either an update or a restart resolves it somehow. Not sure if that is also linked to the firewall service but that is also resolved once restarted and/or updated.

Edited by planet

• Administrators

There are known issues caused by Windows 10 itself during upgrade which were supposed to be fixed in RTM but for some reason users are still having issues with epfwlwf even with RTM build. Manual installation of the driver or reinstallation of the latest version of ESS should help for now.

• Most Valued Members

I made sure i never had any security suite installed when doing my upgrade to win 10, as i knew that issues existed with every version of ESS. Having tested win10 previews and ess v9 beta and v8.

Done my upgrade then got 8.0.319.0 when it was released and never encountered any further issues.

• Most Valued Members

There are known issues caused by Windows 10 itself during upgrade which were supposed to be fixed in RTM but for some reason users are still having issues with epfwlwf even with RTM build. Manual installation of the driver or reinstallation of the latest version of ESS should help for now.

I didn't have this issue during upgrade - the upgrade with ESS was perfect. It's actually when I did a fresh install and then installed ESS for the first time on Windows 10 that I had an issue with epfwlwf and needed to do the above steps (with the latest build).

I made sure i never had any security suite installed when doing my upgrade to win 10, as i knew that issues existed with every version of ESS. Having tested win10 previews and ess v9 beta and v8.

Done my upgrade then got 8.0.319.0 when it was released and never encountered any further issues.

It seems to be random for different users, as I encountered this problem only after a fresh install of Win 10 RTM, but upgrading on another PC from Win 8.1 with ESS installed had no issues at all.

If I uncheck Epfw NDIS lightweight Filter from the NIC then the internet comes back immediately. Please advise on further troubleshooting.

This sounds like the same issue myself and lionkng123 had in this topic: https://forum.eset.com/topic/5549-issues-with-eset-smart-security-8x-in-win-10/

I have mentioned some steps there on what to do after installation that worked for us, see if it helps you as well.  :)

I faced both the exact same issues and did this as a workaround - after installation of Smart Security:

• Go into the properties for the Network Adapter you use for the Internet, uncheck ESET's one and apply settings. This will allow the computer to connect to the Network/Internet again for now.
  • Activate the product and let Smart Security fully update.
  • Go back to the Network Adapter properties and turn back on ESET's one.
  • Restart (not shut down) Windows 10.
This should resolve both the firewall service and Internet issue.

Seems that the ESET entry in the Network Adapter properties after installation is the cause for the Network/Internet not working, and either an update or a restart resolves it somehow. Not sure if that is also linked to the firewall service but that is also resolved once restarted and/or updated.

Thanks for the info Planet. I went off your directions but using pre-release updates because it appears that some of the PR updates directly address BSOD issues as well. having customer stay with PR for a couple weeks and then switching back. You guys are awesome. Thanks again.

I've upgraded four systems now to Windows 10, three of which had/have eset Smart Security installed. On my main PC, which I upgraded first, the upgrade process seemed to go well (albeit it took a lot longer than I expected it to).

However, on the first reboot following the completion of the upgrade, I had a bsod but the error flashed too quickly and the system rebooted, and subsequently went into the desktop without any additional issues.

At least it seemed so. I seemed to have *no* internet access, even though the taskbar's network icon showed I was connected just fine. Then I noticed most of the usual icons that appear down in the taskbar clock area were not there, either. It was only on a hunch that I went to the Start menu to load up eset, and I was shown the new network detected window, and I set it for the right access type, and suddenly all of the icons started loading like I'm used to.

Something that happens during the changeover to Windows 10 *must* include the networking feature, because not only did this quirk with eset appear, but my VMWare Workstation network also stopped working and telling me that I had no connection, even though everything seemed to be correct in the virtual adapters and VM settings. After a few hours of deep Googling, I finally located a how-to that got the VMWare network going again, but it was the first confirmation I found that Windows 10 either changes or reconfigures the network settings.

Others' mileage may vary, of course, and this experience may have been specific to my systems (on the second system upgrade, I was already prepared to start up eset from the Start menu to "activate" its core functions and identify the so-called "New Network Found."), but if this helps anyone who upgrades to Windows 10 and IS running the latest eSet Smart Security like I was, yet has internet issues or their system seems to be hanging---it's something worth trying.

For what it's worth,

Timothy Kline / ENVISIONocity