Issues with ESET Smart Security 8.x in Win 10

Go to solution Solved by planet,

Hi,

I have upgraded to win 10 SL from 8.1 SL recently, and did clean install due to Win upgrade issue. Now when I am trying to install ESET Smart Security through "eset_smart_security_live_installer_.exe", am facing couple of issues:

1. After installation, it could not able to start firewall service
  2. Internet was completely disabled

After uninstalling ESET, it seems, everything is fine. I did try twice, but faced same issues.

Any help would be highly appreciable.

Thanks

• Administrators

If you run "sc query epfwlwf" with administrator rights from the command prompt, is it in the running state? Are you able to temporarily install ESET NOD32 Antivirus?

• Most Valued Members
  • Solution

I have upgraded to win 10 SL from 8.1 SL recently, and did clean install due to Win upgrade issue. Now when I am trying to install ESET Smart Security through "eset_smart_security_live_installer_.exe", am facing couple of issues:

1. After installation, it could not able to start firewall service
  2. Internet was completely disabled

I faced both the exact same issues and did this as a workaround - after installation of Smart Security:

1. Go into the properties for the Network Adapter you use for the Internet, uncheck ESET's one and apply settings. This will allow the computer to connect to the Network/Internet again for now.
  2. Activate the product and let Smart Security fully update.
  3. Go back to the Network Adapter properties and turn back on ESET's one.
  4. Restart (not shut down) Windows 10.

This should resolve both the firewall service and Internet issue.

Seems that the ESET entry in the Network Adapter properties after installation is the cause for the Network/Internet not working, and either an update or a restart resolves it somehow. Not sure if that is also linked to the firewall service but that is also resolved once restarted and/or updated.

Edited by planet

It seems, you proposed solution did the trick! Now I am able to do regular operations. Thanks.

For my another system, was having the same issue, I just installed "eset_ess_live.exe", instead of "eset_smart_security_live_installer_.exe" and that, too, resolved this issue.