The upgrade to Windows 10 has been complete hell so far. ESET's firewall will not load. I says ESET needs to be reinstalled due to probable corruption, yet I can't reinstall. I can't uninstall. I get a message saying "Service 'ESET Service' (ekrn) could not be stopped. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to stop system services." I can't kill the beast with Windows Task Manager.

I have no firewall active. Help!

• Administrators

How did you install Windows 10? Did you upgrade from a preview build, Windows 7/8 or it was a clean install? If the former, what version of ESET you had installed before upgrading to Windows 10? If it was a clean install of Windows 10, did you install the latest version of ESS v8?

I did a manual de-install in safe mode (but did not see the part about backing up network information). and now I have no network access (either cat5 or wireless). I've made 3 calls to the helpdesk and ecah time they have suggested different things - all to no avail.

On the first call I was asked to delete all the network drivers and the reboot - result no change

Then I was asked to run a winsock repair tool - result nothing

Then I was aksed to again delete the drivers and reinstall - nothing.

As a result of the ESET uninstall program I now have a laptop that can not connect to the internet!

Using ipconfig/all no network adaptors are found

The ESET uninstall program must disable something - which means it can be undone. I just need to know how and URGENTLY

ANDREW

• 2 weeks later...

I upgraded to ESS 8.0.319 before upgrading my Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 (via the normal, free download through Windows Update). After Windows 10 install, I received alerts that the firewall was not enabled (actually, not much was enabled, due to Defender and Windows Firewall being automatically enabled). So ESS did not properly transer, install, disable Defender and Firewall. I then ran the ESS 8.0.319 installer again, repairing or re-installing, and now things seem to be fine. Still thinking about uninstalling ESS for now, since I'm not sure of the compatability (some HomeGroup, network issues, probably more hidden).

I have the same problem. After finally managing to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 on the 4th attempt I discover that ESS is not working so I uninstalled it and when I restarted the computer it was still there, but I can't uninstall. I've read the instructions about how to manually uninstall, but they are too vague and assume that everyone knows what network adapter drivers are and where they will find them (the right ones) again once they have uninstalled them. I'm damned if I'm going to pay someone to fix this mess that ESET have created because their program can't be uninstalled properly. Can someone please help me?!

• Administrators
"After finally managing to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 on the 4th attempt..."

This indicates an issue with Windows upgrade itself as it should run smoothly on the first attempt. If issues are encountered during upgrade, it's likely that there could be other issues too, especially with security software which integrates deeply into the system. For instance, installation of ESET's drivers is accomplished by the operating system and not by ESET itself.

I've tested the Uninstall tool - booted Windows in safe mode, then ran it and chose to uninstall ESET. On Windows 10, it's also necessary to manually remove Epfw NDIS LightWeight Filter in your LAN connection properties, otherwise network connection won't be functional.