BSOD after upgrading Windows 8.1 to Windows 10

I updated Eset Smart Security to 8.0.319 in Windows 8.1 Pro (x64) and rebooted. Everything was working well.

I performed an in place upgrade of Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Pro (x64). After the upgrade had completed successfully ESS seemed to be working OK.

I rebooted and every time that Windows 10 started it crashed due to a "DRIVER: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" error in epfwwfp.sys, the Eset Personal Firewall driver.

I eventually fixed the problem by booting into safe mode and deleting epfwwfp.sys from C:\Windows\System32\drivers.

Windows 10 then booted successfully.

I uninstalled ESS and rebooted.

I then reinstalled ESS 8.0.319 from the offline installer and rebooted.

Windows 10 booted successfully and ESS seems to be working fine.

I have seen a few other reports of this on the Internet, therefore I suggest people remove ESS before upgrading to Windows 10 and then reinstall it afterwards.

• Administrators

We'll need you to supply us with:

1, A complete memory dump from the crash (for instructions how to configure the OS to generate complete memory dumps, refer to hxxp://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN3496).

2. Export of the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BFE.
3. Output from running the command "netsh wfp show filters verbose=on " (run it with elevated administrator rights).

So far it looks to be a bug in Windows which is causing this BSOD but we'll need more data from other users to confirm it.

I had exactly the same problem. However, when in safe mode I used the ESET uninstall utility and now I have no network access (either cat5 or wireless). I've made 3 calls to the helpdesk and ecah time they have suggested different things - all to no avail.

On the first call I was asked to delete all the network drivers and the reboot - result no change

Then I was asked to run a winsock repair tool - result nothing

Then I was aksed to again delete the drivers and reinstall - nothing.

As a result of the ESET uninstall program I now have a laptop that can not connect to the internet!

Using ipconfig/all no network adaptors are found

The ESET uninstall program must disable something - which means it can be undone. I just need to know how and URGENTLY

ANDREW

I had very same issue yesterday after upgrading to Windows 10.

Using ESET Endpoint Security.

I had to access Command Prompt from Recovery Options to delete epfwwfp.sys driver.

Then Windows booted just fine.

Uninstalled Eset, installed the newest version and so far all is OK.

I had the same problem as ToeKnee60 when upgrading Win 8.1 Pro to Win 10 Pro.  My latest upgrade for Smart Security was only 8.0.312 (I tried on two occasions before upgrading to Win 10 to get a later version and even today 8.0.312 is the latest I can get in New Zealand)).  I got the "DRIVER: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" error in epfwwfp.sys when the system rebooted after the upgrade to Win 10. 

I deleted the epfwwps.sys after having read elsewhere that that will resolve the boot problem.  I then managed to boot into Win 10 and uninstalled Smart Security.  I then installed Smart Security 9 beta (given that I couldn't get Smart Security 8.0.319) but that wouldn't work as it reported that it wasn't registered and I couldn't enter my licence number anywhere.  Probably a silly thing to do but I thought that it might resolve the problem with v8.0.312. So, I uninstalled that version.  No doubt there are all sorts of leftovers now in the system.

If I go back to Smart Security 8 the only version I get even from a download off the ESET site is 8.0.312 and I don't want to go through that hassle again.

Will Smart Security 8.0.319 work with Windows 10 and if so where do I find it?

Further to my post above regarding not being able to download a later version of ESET Smart Security than v8.0.132.0, I have now managed to download v8.0.139.0 this afternoon.  I have installed it on my Windows 10 system (upgraded from Win 8.1) and then rebooted.  

All went fine and no sign of the previous problem resulting in the "DRIVER: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" error in epfwwfp.sys with version 8.0.139.0 during the boot process.

Hello, I live in Belgium ,sorry for bad English.

I have exactly the same problem as adchesney: transition from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10: BSOD. I uninstalled ESET in safe mode with the ESET uninstall utility and I have no network access .I returned to Windows 8.1.

I reinstalled Windows 10 without Eset and everything works perfectly.Now I use Windows Defender and Windows Firewall.

I add that my son who has a PC with Windows Vista also uninstall Eset problem for BSOD also uses Windows Defender now .

Sad because we used Eset Smart Security for several years

Edited by Sergio

I am having the same problem. I opened Command Prompt from Recovery Options to delete epfwwfp.sys driver but it is not present in X:\Windows\System32\Drivers.

I had the same problem upgrading from Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro with ESET 6.1.2227 64 bit installed, with the latest Windows patches and system drivers.

On another PC in the office with ESET v5, the upgrade went fine.

This is a little concerning to me. I had the same problem with this file when I on at least 4 of PCs in our office when we upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8 a few years back. I would have expected ESET to have addressed this by now.

Booting into SafeMode and deleting the file in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers did the trick. I could reinstall ESET thereafter and reboot without the error.

• Most Valued Members

Any previous builds installed prior to the new ones that are now windows 10 compatible (on eset download page) when uninstalled leave a driver installed that you must remove manually and your internet will come back to life :)

Uninstall this driver manually and then download the new win 10 versions from the ESET website and you will be fine :D

Picture shows where to find and remove the culprit ;)

post-933-0-36720000-1438828146_thumb.jpg

I am having the same problem. I opened Command Prompt from Recovery Options to delete epfwwfp.sys driver but it is not present in X:\Windows\System32\Drivers.

Hi,

I have got the same problem. Could you make a short step-by-step instruction? That would be great. I uninstalled Win10 now already two times.

Thank you!

Daniel

• Administrators

Any previous builds installed prior to the new ones that are now windows 10 compatible (on eset download page) when uninstalled leave a driver installed that you must remove manually and your internet will come back to life :)

I'm not sure if this is still an issue. It was a bug in Windows 10 build 10130 which caused the driver not to be uninstalled, however, Microsoft claimed the bug would be fixed in later builds.

I still have the Problem. Yesterday I tried two times to install Windows 10. It starts perfekt, but it can not restart. Also the screensaver let it freeze.

• Most Valued Members

I still have the Problem. Yesterday I tried two times to install Windows 10. It starts perfekt, but it can not restart. Also the screensaver let it freeze.

I would suggest that you make sure you UNINSTALL any antivirus or anti-malware applications before doing your update to windows 10. Then once the update is completed , download the new versions (win10 compatible) of the applications that you removed prior to the update.

I tested all the insider builds of win10 and if you are not doing a CLEAN install with it, then having the above apps installed will most likely cause you a problem.

This is not just specific to eset products, but most antivirus/security suites.

I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and also ran into BSOD: "DRIVER: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error in epfwwfp.sys".

After the initial upgrade, Windows tries to perform a Windows Update "Cumulative Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3081424)".

It fails to do so if ESET Smart Security 8 Network Protection is enabled and results in a boot loop with the BSOD.

The fix that worked for me:

1. Boot into Safe Mode with Networking

2. Open ESET SS8 and permanently disable "Personal firewall, Network attack protection, Botnet protection"

3. Reboot, Windows may show a message that it is rolling back the failed update.

4. Perform all Windows Updates

5. Reboot

6. Open ESET SS8 and re-enable "Personal firewall, Network attack protection, Botnet protection"

I don't know if I will run into this when future Windows Updates are made available, but this worked for me with KB3081424.

Thank you, it worked!!

I uninstalled SmartSecurity and then the Update to Win10 worked without problems. Then I installed the SmartSecurity again. BUT: I had to configure the firewall, all my rules for our network were lost. :-(

• 2 years later...
Apply the below-given fixes to overcome from BSoD Error:

Check for hard disk issues:
  1. Click Start.
  2. Go to Computer.
  3. Right-click on the main drive, where Windows is installed on, and click Properties.
  4. Click the Tools tab and at the Error-checking section click Check now.
  5. Select both Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.
  6. Click Start.

Set your computer to stop on a Blue Screen of Death.

1. Open your System Properties. 
  2. Click Advanced System Settings. 
  3. Click the Settings button in the Startup and Recovery section of the Advanced tab.
  4. Uncheck the “Automatically restart" option under the “System failure" section.

Source: hxxp://www.pcerror-fix.com