Why does ESET affect hard drive performance so negatively?

Curious

I like eset but it really seems to negatively impact my computer. It seems some of the independent AV reviews also show a decent performance hit.

With eset installed everything seems much slower, especially anything disk-intensive. Other AVs do not do this.

For example, moving files or unpacking archives is horribly slow with eset running. And no, it's not running a scan at that time.

Even running crystal diskmark shows dramatically poorer scores with eset installed. Kaspersky for example, returns scores that are essentially identical to having no AV installed.

I don't believe this is an issue with just me as I see a fair amount of complaints and reviews stating similar things. I like eset in every other way, but it slows things down so much.

Any reason or setting to correct this?

edit: Uploaded a screencap of Crystalmark scores as one example.

post-2064-0-08699500-1437336627_thumb.jpg

Edited by Curious

• Administrators

If you use your computer the way that a lot of files are moved / copied / created frequently (not a common scenario unless one runs backup), disable advanced heuristics for newly created files but leave it enabled on file execution. Also you can try v9 beta to see how much it improves performance.

If possible, upload the files you've used for testing so that we can check why it takes longer to scan them.

If you use your computer the way that a lot of files are moved / copied / created frequently (not a common scenario unless one runs backup), disable advanced heuristics for newly created files but leave it enabled on file execution. Also you can try v9 beta to see how much it improves performance.

If possible, upload the files you've used for testing so that we can check why it takes longer to scan them.

Well, moving files definitely highlights the problem but it's just a general sluggishness to the system. It does not appear to be RAM or CPU related.

I have 12gigs of RAM, running Win 8.1 with a 3.3GHz core i920 so it should not be related to that. If I "disable protection" from the tray icon everything seems to be back to normal pretty quickly.

• Most Valued Members

Ran this test myself to see what effect it had on my system.

With ESS 8.0.312 Installed, win 7 x64.

2 Pics attached show no real difference between having ESS active or temporarily disabled.

Think your problem could be driver related or something else running in the background that is not happy running along side EAV/ESS ?????

post-933-0-29652600-1437438760_thumb.jpg

post-933-0-53051900-1437438775_thumb.jpg