V9 compatibility with Windows 10

• Most Valued Members

when we can expect final relase of ess 9?

October 2015

Wow, must be the first time ever I see an ESET rep mention a release date/month (approximate?) in public :D

Times they are a-changin'. Look at Microsoft, all open and humble. :)

Yeah sure, but I am not saying that its only positive. If ESET needs to move the release date forward....there is always a few people that might react like "but you said it was going to be released now buuuuu"  :rolleyes:  By keeping the release info secret until a few days before they plan to release it they prevent these people from feeling let down and disappointed and post their anger on social media or whatever.

But personally I don't complain, I know how this works, even if they say October right now, I know that no date is set in stone :)

I don't know about open and humble. I think they seem to think that they do everything right all the time, and if they get some negative feedback, they only come up with a bad excuse. It will be very interesting to see how their automatic WU system works out with Win10 if MS plan to keep the current "high" quality on their updates.

The Windows 10, You get what we give and you will do it Now, update policy is a deal breaker for me. Given the stellar updates I've seen and some of the recommended updates that would have, had I actually installed them, turned my system in to a brick. Along with my 5 GB data cap that I have mentioned in another post.

I do critical updates ASAP, the rest I manage when the downloads will occur to avoid exceeding my data cap. Sooner or later I get them done but mostly later.

Besides I haven't seen anything in Windows 10 that would be worth using two months of data allotment to update my two Win 7 systems. I have nothing against Windows 10 it's just not for me. I kind of like doing things my way.

As far as the Eset SS final release goes, when the cake is ready it will be served.. No need to rush the process, the Beta seems to be working just fine. No slow down and will do a Smart Scan of my OS and data drive in 7 minutes. I should add that I'm only using about 200 GB of my 1 TB drive. Still that's pretty fast.

@cyberhash:

4 updates is a short Track record. ;)

October 2015

Wow, must be the first time ever I see an ESET rep mention a release date/month (approximate?) in public :D

Martin must not have received the memo about giving "release dates". :D

Edited by TomFace

• Former ESET Employees

October 2015

I said you can "expect" the release, I didn't confirm anything :), there's no official release date announced yet, but at least two previous versions have been release at that time, so you can "expect" there will be something new released at that time :). I didn't confirmed anything officially and I'm not gonna do that before an official PR announcement.

Edited by Martin Semjan

October 2015

I said you can "expect" the release, I didn't confirm anything :), there's no official release date announced yet, but at least two previous versions have been release at that time, so you can "expect" there will be something new released at that time :). I didn't confirmed anything officially and I'm not gonna do that before an official PR announcement.

No you didn't confirm anything, but I think it's good you point this out as some users tend to take information coming from ESET reps/mods as "official" information.  :) So, without mentioning any details we can say that the final will for sure be out some time in Q4 2015  :D

October 2015

Yeah sure, but I am not saying that its only positive. If ESET needs to move the release date forward....there is always a few people that might react like "but you said it was going to be released now buuuuu"  :rolleyes:  By keeping the release info secret until a few days before they plan to release it they prevent these people from feeling let down and disappointed and post their anger on social media or whatever.

But personally I don't complain, I know how this works, even if they say October right now, I know that no date is set in stone :)

I don't know about open and humble. I think they seem to think that they do everything right all the time, and if they get some negative feedback, they only come up with a bad excuse. It will be very interesting to see how their automatic WU system works out with Win10 if MS plan to keep the current "high" quality on their updates.

The Windows 10, You get what we give and you will do it Now, update policy is a deal breaker for me. Given the stellar updates I've seen and some of the recommended updates that would have, had I actually installed them, turned my system in to a brick. Along with my 5 GB data cap that I have mentioned in another post.

I do critical updates ASAP, the rest I manage when the downloads will occur to avoid exceeding my data cap. Sooner or later I get them done but mostly later.

@cyberhash:

4 updates is a short Track record. ;)

Yeppers ^_^, it's those updates I had in mind when I said "high" quality updates. Waiting a week or so is a good idea until MS improve the QC of the WUs.

Indeed, 4 updates is nothing compared to how many updates MS will push out during a year, and there will be many millions of computers running Win10 a while after the release that could potentially receive one of those "high" quality updates whether they want it or not. Which means that if something goes wrong it will probably result in a lot of angry customers. "I didn't do anything, what happened!?!"...."ah sorry about that, we just released an update that were supposed to "fix" a problem"

October 2015

WU works fine on 10 :) already had 2 security updates and 2 updates for windows defender :D

Yes, I am sure the actual update system works as intended :)  I was referring to the quality of some of the past updates that MS have released for Win7 for example.

All OSes can have problems with new releases. Android Lollipop 5.0 was riddled with issues and so was iOS 8 and OSX.

• Most Valued Members

10 is up and running and stable, but it does smell of both windows 7 and 8.1. Look some places and you have the old control panel from win 7, and use another method to reach it and its got the metro style look with half the options not available. Also new edge browser has very poor compatibility with a lot of sites. Yeah Microsoft have made massive update failures in the past , but they do fix them quickly.

Don't know if any of you seen the post regarding Symantec and them forcing (by mistake ahem) an alpha/beta update to Norton that was not to everyone's taste :D
hxxp://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/20/win10_norton_snafu_update/

At least we know when we are testing and running beta stuff with ESET :)

Personally i don't believe that build 10240 of win 10 that's doing the rounds will be the one we see released on the 29th.

October 2015

Martin-I was kidding :wub: ....everything in its own time :P . 

Edited by TomFace

cant activate eset beta on win 10 10240 at all

Yep. We're all waiting for updated installers that support activation on Windows 10 build 10240. They were supposed to be released "after" July 20. We're still waiting.

Anyone else got the problem on build 10240 that the internet stops working after installing? Can only ping to other websites. Browser etc. show no internet connection

I'm losing my faith in Eset. I'm patiently waiting since a week for a compatible version of the final Windows 10.

• Administrators

How did you install Win10 build 10240? Did you upgrade from an older build that was supported by ESET?

It's like we're being ignored right in their official support forums. No dates and the dates given are vague enough to be easily broken. "After July 20" Pfffffft

• Most Valued Members

@kuro yes its a known problem and done the same with all of us that were using 10240 & v9. It's not only you

It's like we're being ignored right in their official support forums. No dates and the dates given are vague enough to be easily broken. "After July 20" Pfffffft

It was promised to us for this week, obviously it didn't happen. They don't say anything now and prefer to remain silent.

• Most Valued Members

It was promised to us for this week, obviously it didn't happen. They don't say anything now and prefer to remain silent.

Was stated that v8 and v9 beta installers would be updated after the 20th and before the 29th, we are in the middle of that time period :) nothing is late yet

Edited by cyberhash

• ESET Insiders

October 2015

I would use the wording, "the projected release date is"....... They can't say you said....... then.  There will always be people that cry over spiled milk. The only users that should really be in a rush to upgrade are those that are experiencing problems with the current version. If the current version is not working for them then I can understand the frustration.