How To Shutdown Eset Smart Security

Go to solution Solved by ceg,

Anybody know a way to completely shut down ESET, short of uninstalling it?  There are times when just suspending my malware application isn't enough.  I am new to ESET and with my former security app I could go into process explorer and suspend or delete the running processes.  With ESET I am not even able to go into Windows Services and disable ESET.  In all cases my access is denied, even though I am logged in as administrator.  My former security app had a right click option to shut it down.

Anybody know a way to completely shut down ESET, short of uninstalling it?  There are times when just suspending my malware application isn't enough.  I am new to ESET and with my former security app I could go into process explorer and suspend or delete the running processes.  With ESET I am not even able to go into Windows Services and disable ESET.  In all cases my access is denied, even though I am logged in as administrator.  My former security app had a right click option to shut it down.

First I would contact the vendor of the AV you used before and advise them to implement some kind of Self Defense system for their products processes, you should not be able to kill them that easily.

And that is the reason why you cannot "kill" for example ekrn.exe in the task manager since the process is protected by the inbuilt Self Defense module in the product.

And the reason for having a Self Defense module to protect the product with is, if you would be able to kill the AV process in the task manager then so could a possible Malware infection that for some reason would get passed ESET, and completely shut down the process. But with the Self Defense module you make it a little bit harder for the Malware to succeed in terminating ekrn.exe.

• Solution

First I would contact the vendor of the AV you used before and advise them to implement some kind of Self Defense system for their products processes, you should not be able to kill them that easily.

You make a good point.

• 2 weeks later...

Why so much blabla ? You have to start Win in safety mode and disable (with msconfig) Eset Service and ekrn.exe

To re-enable Eset again, you must do the same way by starting in safetey mode.

That's all very good. It protects the user.

Tip for ADVANCED users only: for online gaming or intense read/write operations, you can set the Real-Time Scan to scan only executable files in order to increase performance.

Good job, Eset,

XenonS

Edited by XenonS

• 2 years later...

How to shut down eset tutorial(only windows)
go to Start and click on Shut Down.
When screen saying Shutting Down Click CTRL-ALT-DELETE.
(it must be 1-2seconds from clicking on Shut Down)
You are welcome:D  :D 
(Soon it will be patched from this post  :D 
maybe)