web control, block youtube/facebook

jdaniel

Hello,

What is the best way to block youtube/facebook (for example) ?

I have some sites blocked from the "Web Control Rules Editor" but my problem is that wildcards cannot be used in the rules. So if I block youtube.com, my users can still access youtube.co.uk or youtube.ZZZ where ZZZ can be any of the youtube domains in this case.

Is there any way this can be achieved without entering the entire block of domains ?

Thanks.

• 1 year later...

An old topic, but yet very important. (And still unanswered?)

I have the same question...

Would be nice if Eset could come up with a solution.

a small edit:

typing a direct url does work, however it does not show the blocked page message.

I simply get a page not found error.

Edited by XanderVR

• ESET Staff

Hello, I would suggest that instead of "URL" blocking, you will use "category" blocking.

For Facebook use the category "Social Networking", & for Youtube:use category "Streaming & Downloadable Video"

Hello, I would suggest that instead of "URL" blocking, you will use "category" blocking.

For Facebook use the category "Social Networking", & for Youtube:use category "Streaming & Downloadable Video"

unfortunately we have the experience that category blocking can sometimes cause legit websites to be blocked.

You can also use URL management in the Web and email protection setup which supports wildcards.

I have indeed tried to block pages with URL management, however I would like the users to see a custom message, as it is provided with Eset software, but not working.