Client installer task fails

dhager

I'm a brand new Eset customer, still learning the ins and outs of Eset deployment. I find the documentation seriously lacking, and the ERA interface clunky. You mean I can't just check off a bunch of computers and say "run this task that was already created?"  or click on a task and say "run this task on the checked computers?"  Instead, I have MODIFY an existing task every time? And each time I have to remove computers from the list and add new ones? And each time I have to re-check the End User License Agreement? Way too many steps, and not intuitive at all. I look forward to the coming updates.

All that said, I can successfully deploy Eset Endpoint Security V6 if I specify an installer package from the repository. However, I want to use one of the installer files that also removes the existing AVG anti-virus, but those installers are not available when I look in the repository. Why not?

So I made a new task that uses the "Install by direct package URL" option, and I used this for the URL: hxxp://download.eset.com/download/win/ees/avremover_ees_nt64_enu.exe

I run the task with this installer and nothing happens. The only way I was able to find the URL for this package is to hover on the Download button for the software in the downloads section. Is this version not intended to be used with an automated task?

Has anyone had success with this Eset installer that removes existing AV?

Don

Edited by dhager

After several more days of attempting to deploy ESET 6 with removal of current AVG product, I have more questions. Because ESET V6 is so new, I will assume that ESET staff would be the ones with this knowledge, and I hope that one will reply. I have entered a support request on this subject as well, with no response yet.

One of the problems with this approach seems to be the need to specify which product is to be uninstalled. If the installer is run locally, you get an interactive dialog in which you are shown a list of products that can be uninstalled, and you are required to specify the product before the process continues. So the question is, how to specify uninstallation parameters for the existing AVG product when creating an automated client task? Is this supposed to be done on the "Installation Parameters" line of the Setting menu when creating a task? If not, how is it done.

Another possible approach: It looks like in the version 5 interface you can build a pre-configured installation package that can be run locally or pushed. Is there support for this process in Version 6? 

• Administrators

I'd suggest carrying on as follows:

1, Create a dynamic group with the rule "Installed software, Application vendor" contains "AVG".

2, Bind a new "Software uninstall" task for this dynamic group. In the "Software uninstallation settings", select "Third-party antivirus software (Built with OPSWAT)" from the drop-down menu. There's no additional option to specify which AV you want to uninstall; it will uninstall the AV that will be detected.

3, Create a new dynamic group for PCs without AVG and ESET installed, e.g. by using the rule "Functionality/Protection problems" -> Feature equal to "Antivirus".

4, Bind a new "Software install" to the newly created dynamic group.

Should you need some screen shots for illustration or clarify something, let us know.

Thanks for that information. I see what you're doing with that approach; Find "Computers with AVG" and dynamically uninstall  AVG, then they dynamically become members of the "No Anti-Virus" group which triggers then ESET Installation task. Is that the idea?

I've created the dynamic group for computers with AVG installed, and assume that group should populate before any uninstallation task can work, but nothing happens. From the context menu in the group list I click Scan and Apply Sooner, but no computers populate the group.  Is there some step I'm missing?

Don

• Administrators

Just to make sure, is agent already installed on at least some computers with AVG installed? I'm asking because it's agent on clients which evaluates the membership in dynamic groups.

Yes, we've deployed the agent via GPO policy to a couple dozen computers. They all show up under Windows Computers, and most of them still have AVG installed, but none show up in the new dynamic group. See the screen shot of how the template for the group is defined.

post-7806-0-77653000-1437486214_thumb.jpg

Come on! I could really use some answers! What kind of way is this to run a support forum?? Do I have to wait a day (now two days) between forum post replies to a what should be a simple question? Why is there no live support? I have been posting on the forum AND I submitted a support question via that route with NO REPLY. This is absolutely crazy that a new ESET customer can not get answers. I'm not stupid, but the documentation and support information does NOT have the detailed level of information to answer my questions.

• 10 months later...

ESet seems to have a large number of features/functions which can be very beneficial to an IT Organization, such as Asset Management and blocking of SPAM at your mail gateway.  However, ESet is somewhat cumbersome to deploy, it is a two step process that requires you to deploy an agent and then install the software in the next step.  I only have 200 systems to deploy on and for the most part got the Agent deployed to 130 of the 200 systems, now the arduous task of figuring out the other 70 machines that didn't get the Agent.  The logging doesn't seem to be all that helpful either, on one of the systems that I attempted to deploy the software it says the installation failed and that I have to deploy the client manually.  I have used many other Anti-Virus products in the past - Symantec, McAfee, Trend, Kaspersky, Sophos, AVG - each have it's quirks to install successfully, however ESet is one I haven't figured out as yet, I am sure there are some tricks to getting the deployment to go smoothly.  However, I have spent quite a few hours doing deployment on my systems with ESet and I haven't figured it out yet.   At this point in the deployment I would give ESet an "F" for ease of use.