Eset Smart Security 8 causing slow file transfer over local network

Hello,

I have a new computer with ESS8 installed and it seems that it causes slow transfer over the local network.

Speeds with ESS8:

3-5 MB/s

Speeds with ESS8 uninstalled:

8-10 MB/s

I run Windows 8.1 64 bit. and the exact same system and ESS8 (incl. the same configuration) is on my other machine where it works without any problem.

My first thoughts were that I have wrong network drivers and I have spent 1,5 day trying to solve this issue. I was thinking that it is sufficient to simply disable realtime protection and firewall. Oh how was I wrong! Right after I have uninstalled Eset Smart Security 8 everything started to work flawlessly and my transfer speeds are back in normal. 

The same behaviour can be archieved by a simple restart into the safe mode with networking where it works as well because ESS8 is not loaded.

I would be very grateful for any suggestions about how to fix this issue. I hope that simple advanced settings tweak could help me, but I have already tried some.

Please feel free to contact me in case of any questions.

Thanks!

• Administrators

Does installing ESS v9 beta make a difference? If not, what about temporarily installing ESET NOD32 Antivirus v8 for a test?

I need a firewall and prefer to have everything under one roof, but I understand that you would like to know whether it is firewall or antivirus causing the issue. I will try it and get back to you asap.

I have just tried NOD32 Antivirus 8 and its better, but not ideal. I am getting 6-7 MB/s now.

• Administrators

Does temporarily disabling protocol filtering or real-time protection make a difference? If you have ESS installed now, what about temporarily disabling ESET Lightweight filter in your LAN properties?

No, it does not. I have tried both without success.

I am waiting until this will be resolved with Kaspersky Total Security installed. It seems that their software respect when I disable firewall/antivirus and does not slow my download.

I however like ESET and I am used to it and I therefore hope that there must be "only" something wrong in the settings. The problem is that I have already spent a few hours trying to fix it and I do not have that much time.

Edited by Magic