Problem with ERA6 and clients 5.x

• Administrators

For v5 clients, you should create a mirror using a v5 product (ERA v5 or Endpoint v5).

After upgrading to ERA v6, you can use an existing http proxy or install Apache HTTP proxy for instance (bundled with ERA v6 all-in-one installer) and configure clients to update from ESET's servers via the http proxy. Alternatively you will be able to create a mirror using Endpoint v6 and enable the internal http server for providing updates.

• 2 weeks later...

Can you explain this answer a little more please?  

I have an ESET RA 5 with 5.x clients and 4.x clients.

I see with RA6 there is a virtual appliance I can run in VMWare vCenter

I was planning to run the virtual appliance and then in RA5 deploy a policy that would change the update server and reporting server address to the RA6 appliance

From you answer above I'm not clear how I would do this.  Does RA6 not use an address and port for reporting server and for updates?

• Administrators

If you want to upgrade to ERA v6, I'd strongly suggest trying it in a test environment as it's completely different than previous versions of ERA and you are not familiar with the basics yet (e.g. clients don't communicate with ERA directly, certificates must be installed properly, etc.).

While using ERA v5, you should upgrade v4 clients to Endpoint v5. Note that v4 clients do not provide maximum protection as they do not support LiveGrid nor other technologies for stopping malware.

I am trying to test the process of deploying RA6 before we pull the trigger.  I have some clients in the lab that are 5.x clients and they were reporting to our RA5 server.  I've deployed the OVA for RA6 to evaluate the new version and help test out the migration and deployment process.  I'm now trying to get my lab clients to report to the new RA6 server.  I tried to do this by creating a new policy in RA5 and deploying it to the clients.  In the new policy I specified the address of my RA6 server as the primary server address for the remote administration server.  However when I look at the dashboard on RA6 I'm not seeing the clients.  When I look at ESET Endpoint Antivirus client I can confirm that the settings for the RA server have been changed as expected by deploying the new policy.

So what is it that I need to do to get the 5.x clients to communicate with the RA6 server?  I'm pretty sure the FAQ for RA6 says that it can manage 5.x clients yes?  How do I set this up?

• Administrators

V5 clients won't talk to ERAS v6. You need to deploy agent which will reconfigure ERAS settings on the clients to report to agent running on localhost. What you need to do is use ERA v6 to create Agent Live installer which you will deploy on clients with Endpoint v5 (e.g. through GPO, install it manually, etc.). After agent has been installed on the clients, Endpoint v5 will start to talk to it instead of ERAS v5. Agent will take care of communication with ERAS v6.

• 1 month later...

V4/V5/V6/V* wont talk to ERA V6, since V6 talks to the AGENT.

You install ERA V6, and then (probably painfully :P) deploy the agents.

Once installed, ERA V6 can manage V4/V5/V6 of the antivirus.

In my experience, the HTTP proxy does nothing to save bandwith or at least, nothing to accelerate downloads.

Having an endpoint antivirus in the ERA server, and enabling the mirror there, is much faster. (lan speed downloads vs WAN speed downloads of definitions)