Eset detecting Utorrent as a PUP all of a sudden?

Eset detecting Utorrent as a PUA all of a sudden?   What happened with the recent virus sig database? been using this for a while now has never done that.

Wed/ 7/1/2015 9:12:41 AM    Real-time file system protection    file    C:\Program Files (x86)\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe    a variant of Win32/Bunndle potentially unsafe application         Event occurred on a new file created by the application: Dropbox\uTorrent.exe.

Edited by Silklandscape

Hello,

I don't use Utorrent, but I know that Utorrent has bundled stuff in their software for a longtime, what happened was probably that ESET added detection for this particular PUA. If you want to use this software then you can exclude to keep it from being detected again, but continue to have PUA detections enabled for future detections.

You can google "utorrent potentially" to see some of their bundle detection history.

Edited by SweX

• Administrators

This detection seems to be from year 2012. My assumption is that you must have enabled detection of potentially unsafe applications recently; this detection is disabled by default.

I have a different problem regarding this. I always have PUA detection enabled, and when I try to install utorrent, eset detects as OpenCandy and cleans the installer, so I can safely install the program. But since last week, when I tried to update utorrent, I saw that Eset can no longer clean the utorrent installer. Instead, it automatically deletes and quarantines, so there is no way that I can install utorrent without installing open candy to my pc, unless I use a very old version from like 2011. Also, declining all offers while installing utorrent doesn't help as opencandy will install regardless. I was very happy with eset cleaning installers for me like utorrent and ccleaner. Now I don't know what happened actually. Eset WAS able to clean, now it cannot and quarantines the whole installer. It's like a step backwards... 

• 4 weeks later...

use qBittorrent which is open source and virus free. uTorrent is infested with malware and spyware

I second that. uTorrent was fine around 4 years ago then it started loading its installers with all sorts of malware.

An alternative apart from qBittorrent is Tixati which once you get used to the GUI works well and is free from any rubbish.

I have a different problem regarding this. I always have PUA detection enabled, and when I try to install utorrent, eset detects as OpenCandy and cleans the installer, so I can safely install the program. But since last week, when I tried to update utorrent, I saw that Eset can no longer clean the utorrent installer. Instead, it automatically deletes and quarantines, so there is no way that I can install utorrent without installing open candy to my pc, unless I use a very old version from like 2011. Also, declining all offers while installing utorrent doesn't help as opencandy will install regardless. I was very happy with eset cleaning installers for me like utorrent and ccleaner. Now I don't know what happened actually. Eset WAS able to clean, now it cannot and quarantines the whole installer. It's like a step backwards... 

Opencandy is the adware inside utorrent. It's definitely a PUA.