Not sure if my friend got fished

Scott

I'm not sure if this question belongs here or not but here goes.

My friend called me and said he could not logon to Facebook because it said his computer had to be cleaned and a popup said that he had to download Eset online scanner, There was no cancel or opt out button just a download, I recognized the name Eset so I told it him it was safe was I wrong.

-He uses Chrome newest version 

-He was using a non administrator account and had to put in the admin password 

-Windows 7 fully updated 

Before I told him it was safe I  did a Google search and found that Facebook and Eset made some kind of partnership.

Did I give him the wrong advice

I do not know if your advice was sound or not as I do not use Facebook.

But I do recall seeing something on this forum about it, here's the link.

https://forum.eset.com/topic/3804-eset-and-facebook-not-a-good-idea/?hl=facebook

hxxp://www.eset.com/int/about/press/articles/products/article/eset-joins-facebook-to-offer-free-security-service-for-all-users/

I'll let someone else here decide if it was legit or not. :)

Edited by TomFace

Thanks' I read those announcements, But they don't mention forcing him to download Eset before he could logon

• Most Valued Members

ESET has a KB Article regarding this very thing: "Why does Facebook require that I scan my computer with ESET?"
Facebook announcement: "ESET and Facebook Partner to Combat Malware"

Facebook requires your friend to scan his computer before being able to use his account, as they feel as though he could have malware.
Once he scans his system by using the scanner and following the instructions, Facebook should then give access to his account again.

Thanks' I read those announcements, But they don't mention forcing him to download Eset before he could logon

Following the initial notification, Malware Checkpoint will prompt you to perform a system scan using one of the security applications available on Facebook. If you receive a notification from Facebook with instructions to scan your computer, you must complete the requested scan before you will be able to log in to your Facebook account.

Edited by planet

ESET has a KB Article regarding this very thing: "Why does Facebook require that I scan my computer with ESET?"

Facebook announcement: "ESET and Facebook Partner to Combat Malware"

Facebook requires your friend to scan his computer before being able to use his account, as they feel as though he could have malware.

Once he scans his system by using the scanner and following the instructions, Facebook should then give access to his account again.

Following the initial notification, Malware Checkpoint will prompt you to perform a system scan using one of the security applications available on Facebook. If you receive a notification from Facebook with instructions to scan your computer, you must complete the requested scan before you will be able to log in to your Facebook account.

Ok wish I found that link earlier, Whoever came up with this brilliant idea should of made it more clear because I didn't find any links anywhere explaining what it was doing, I had to google it.

BTW I'm not actually sure if it actually cleaned anything after it scanned because it said it found 1 problem and the only choice's were to either try a 30 day free trial or buy the product neither of which he wanted to do so I just closed the the program. One more thing how did Facebook know He had a problem he must of got it from them LOL .

Just in case anyone is wondering what it found it was some toolbar in the downloads folder that was not installed. I ended up deleting everything in that folder

Also I don't see any option to mark this thread as solved so I will leave it the way it is unless someone knows how to do that

By the way thank you all for your help

Edited by Scott

• Most Valued Members

Ok wish I found that link earlier, Whoever came up with this brilliant idea should of made it more clear because I didn't find any links anywhere explaining what it was doing, I had to google it.

BTW I'm not actually sure if it actually cleaned anything after it scanned because it said it found 1 problem and the only choice's were to either try a 30 day free trial or buy the product neither of which he wanted to do so I just closed the the program.

If Facebook asks to do it again in the future, I would scan all other possible devices the account is logged into in case there is still something causing it to happen. Regarding the scanner, once you clicked Finish you can simply close the window (which you did).

One more thing how did Facebook know He had a problem he must of got it from them LOL .

Just in case anyone is wondering what it found it was some toolbar in the downloads folder that was not installed. I ended up deleting everything in that folder

No one really knows - it could be from logging into his account on an infected device, suspicious activity on the account, allowed applications sending spam, etc. Check in the Account Settings such as Security to remove any unknown active sessions or saved devices, and possibly review the approved applications on the account to see if you can remove any that you don't need or look suspicious.

Also I don't see any option to mark this thread as solved so I will leave it the way it is unless someone knows how to do that

You can click on the 'Mark Solved' button on the bottom right corner of the post that provided the best solution for you.

Edited by planet

Although I know that Eset is a fine and very highly recognized security program, I think the developers should have a little talk with their sales team about the bad taste their little escapade may have left in the mouths of many Facebook users.

Edited by Scott

• Most Valued Members

Although I know that Eset is a fine a very highly recognized security program I think the developers should have a little talk with their sales team about the bad taste their little escapade may have left in the mouths of many Facebook users

I just want to mention that this is Facebook's thing and they don't only use ESET for their malware detection on accounts, but also F-Secure and Trend Micro and apparently plan on providing more vendors for this in the future (here's a link to the original announcement about this scanning on Facebook).

Edited by planet

Although I know that Eset is a fine a very highly recognized security program I think the developers should have a little talk with their sales team about the bad taste their little escapade may have left in the mouths of many Facebook users

I just want to mention that this is Facebook's thing and they don't only use ESET for their malware detection on accounts, but also F-Secure and Trend Micro and apparently plan on providing more vendors for this in the future (here's a link to the original announcement about this scanning on Facebook).

You don't get it do you, the only thing people will remember is that Eset was a hassle and would not let them sing in